Two more YSU deans in job hunt

Published: Mon, April 7, 2014 @ 6:53 p.m.

YOUNGSTOWN

Two more high-level Youngstown State University officials are job hunting.

Shearle Furnish, who’s been the dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences for nine years, and Bryan DePoy, dean of the College of Creative Arts and Communication since 2009, both have been finalists for positions at other universities.

DePoy is one of three finalists to be dean of the University of Maine College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. He couldn’t be reached.

Furnish was a finalist for the provost position at West Virginia State University. He said he didn’t get that job but has applied to be provost and vice president for academic affairs at YSU.

Furnish said he wants to progress in his career and he’s at a time “where I do this now or not at all” in order to give significant years of service to a new job.

The two deans are the latest at YSU to leave or consider leaving in recent weeks.

Read more in Tuesday's Vindicator.

Comments

1Attis(860 comments)posted 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Has anyone in the YSU administration or trustees have any integrity at all? How about commitment? Or are these all just a bunch of self-serving careerists who jump at the next fling they see? This whole gang in the suites needs to be removed and replaced with actual professionals who are committed to the education of others in this area rather than the promotion of self whether the highest bidder is.

2Erplane(474 comments)posted 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Attis - why is it wrong for people to have career advancement aspirations? Dean Depoy is someone I know, and is a tremendous human being. He has done great things at YSU. A good city always has a circulation of talent coming in and going out, bringing fresh ideas.

What I think is weird is this whole university system of divulging who is looking for jobs at other schools. It doesnt happen in the private sector, and I think thats healthy.

3lemmingsfollowblindly(18 comments)posted 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Anyone who can jump ship will.....YSU is more worried about a floundering football program then anything else....I believe one upper level said they have to prop it up because students need (this is great) "entertainment" YA ok sure ....All the students these days are glued to social media and phones...

4gdog4766(1401 comments)posted 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey YSU, I promise to raise tuition and not fight Kasichs funding cuts. I promise to sneak in increases in fees like when Anderson made all students buy a parking pass even if they didn't own a car. I promise to again demand even more concessions from workers (except my staff,who I will again give raises). I will cut all departments but athletics. I mean hey sports is just too important to mess with. And to prove I'm serious I promise to either leave,retire or get drunk and step in front of a ysu truck outside the stadium and sue the university. Oh I forgot you'll have to completely remodel Wick-Pollock before I'll then refuse to move in.

5billdog1(934 comments)posted 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Everybody has a choice to look further for advancement. It's a shame that so many must not have that option that they would think this is wrong. This is the norm for CEO's, COO's and the like. Many at YSU, Kent, Akron, CSU, etc... are not from the area and want to return to their hometowns. I don't find that bazaar. Profs at YSU are not making big bucks as far as their professions are concerned. Go on line and look at some of these salaries and will be shocked at what they are being paid for have their $70,000 worth of education.