A committee recommends the city give $6,400 to a business for a fence with razor wire on top

Published: Tue, September 24, 2013 @ 12:05 a.m.

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

A city committee recommends the board of control approve $6,400 to a South Side business for an 8-foot-high concrete-block fence with razor wire on top.

The Youngstown Initiative Committee voted Monday to recommend using city money for the fence at American Farms Produce II Inc., 87 Brooklyn Ave. The final decision rests with the board of control, which will consider the request next month.

The fence will cost $16,000 and would be at the rear of the property, said Chris Herubin, American Farms president.

The wholesale produce-distribution business has experienced several thefts, particularly batteries from company trucks, and vandalism, and the fence is needed to keep the company at its current location, Herubin said.

The company employs 15 full-time workers and three part-timers.

It’s appropriate for the city to provide money for the fence with razor wire in order to keep the business from possibly leaving Youngstown, said city Law Director Anthony Farris, an initiative committee member.

The city’s Design Review Committee approved the design of American Farms’ fence request at its Sept. 3 meeting.

At that meeting, Herubin said a chain-link fence would be a waste of money because criminals would cut through it.

The last business to get approval for a fence with razor wire on top was Ludt’s Towing on Wilson Avenue about eight or nine years ago, city officials have said.

The initiative committee postponed a vote Monday on a request to give $18,224 in city money toward a proposal to put three LED (light-emitting diode) electronic signs on a building at 2930 Market St. The project also includes new siding and awnings with a total cost of $45,560.

The signs would promote upcoming boxing, martial arts and mixed martial arts pay-per-view programs.

Some committee members expressed concern about the signs being a distraction to motorists, and wanted to check if the signs are in compliance with Ohio law as Market Street is a state route.

Comments

1glbtactivist(250 comments)posted 12 months ago

I need a fence around my business in Youngstown. Guess I'll tell them I will move out of town if they refuse to pay for it. Oh, I don't have any relatives in city government. Probably won't work.

2ytownsteelman(628 comments)posted 12 months ago

The same city government who only paves portions of street because they are so broke can somehow afford to give a private business public money for a private fence! Well I think I deserve a publicly funded fence too!

3dmacker(274 comments)posted 12 months ago

Amazing use of public funds for a private business.
Many businesses put up their own security systems such as cameras fencing and alarms. Why would a business who has just over a dozen employees rate such a consideration from the city piggy bank?
I think if the thieves could cut through the chain link fence they could as easily cut through the razor wire.

4Not_Gilligans_Ginger(129 comments)posted 12 months ago

I would like a fence for the property around my home. I have a dog (from the pound) who I have to walk so she gets exercise. I have already fallen due to crumbled sidewalks, which cost me a day's pay and a copay of $30 and 6-8 weeks of walking on torn ligaments. How about it, city? You know, if this happens again I may have to collect since the city sidewalks aren't properly maintained. A chain link fence will be fine, thanks.

5redvert(2064 comments)posted 12 months ago

Why not pay a couple employees to take turns guarding the business a couple nights a week with a 12 gauge? Let the scumbags try to guess which nights. Wouldn't have to blow away more than 2 or 3 scumbags to get the message across. Deposit the residue in the Mahoning River.

Now if that sounds too harsh, make them carry a 410, I am reasonable.