Most hostages at Kenya mall rescued, military reports
Kenya’s military launched a major operation at an upscale Nairobi mall and said it had rescued “most” of the hostages being held captive by al-Qaida-linked militants during a two-day standoff that killed at least 68 people and injured 175.
At daybreak on Monday, however, about five minutes of sustained gunfire could be heard being fired out of the mall, a clear indication that at least one gunman was still free and that the standoff continued. And hours after Kenyan officials said most hostages had been released, no further updates were released by authorities.
“We are yet to get confirmation from what’s happening in the building,” Col. Cyrus Oguna, a Kenyan military spokesman, told The Associated Press.
The military assault began shortly before sundown on Sunday, with one helicopter skimming very close to the roof of the shopping complex as a loud explosion rang out, far larger than any previous grenade blast or gunfire volley.
Kenyan police said on Twitter that security forces had launched a “MAJOR” assault to end the bloody siege.