Both sides preparing for one-day North Side Medical Center nurses strike

Published: Mon, September 23, 2013 @ 11:45 a.m.

Both sides preparing for one-day North Side Medical Center nurses strike

YOUNGSTOWN

Both sides are preparing for the one-day strike Tuesday called by registered nurses at Northside Medical Center against the hospital.

The more than 400 nurses, members of the Youngstown General Duty Nurses Association, made picket signs Sunday and had final meetings today in preparation for their work action scheduled to begin at 7 a.m. in front of ValleyCare Northside at 500 Gypsy Lane.

ValleyCare Ohio Health Systems, owner of Northside, said it is “fully engaged in preparing to take care of our patients ... through visiting nurses, physicians and other care providers.”

Comments

1walter_sobchak(1894 comments)posted 11 months, 1 week ago

It seems highly unlikely an agency would only staff the facility for one day. I would believe they would contract them for one week which would mean that ValleyCare will lock the union out for the week. I guess we will see the union thug inflatable rat tomorrow.

2gdog4766(1472 comments)posted 11 months, 1 week ago

Yeah greedy union thugs!!!!! Right Walt how dare they demand a raise after 8 years, while their CEO makes 23 million a year! I mean you'd be alright with not getting a raise while your employer makes money hand over fist. I can't believe some people. I mean hey pay me,hey give me a raise to keep up with inflation. Some people!

3walter_sobchak(1894 comments)posted 11 months, 1 week ago

YGDNA supports the lazy and uncaring nurses that truly compromise patient care at Northside Hospital. For this reason, staffing levels for the patient census is out of whack for this facility. But, I don't really blame the union as much as I blame the incompetent management of WRCS that preceded CHS. This new outfit expects better result and they will get it or the facility will be closed. While I can't support the ratio of pay between the CEO and the professional staff, I don't see where the nurses have a very strong hand that they can make demands. The nurses had to give up pay, vacation, and benefits because the industry has changed and their pay and benefits are not in line with other typical facilities, such as St. E's.

4gdog4766(1472 comments)posted 11 months, 1 week ago

What about 8 years without a raise while the CEO earns 23 million a year. How can that be justified.

5walter_sobchak(1894 comments)posted 11 months, 1 week ago

I believe I stated that I can't support such a ratio. However, as a corporation with shareholders and a board of directors, that is the CEO's contract negotiation. If the ONA wants to use that in their negotiation, good luck with that. These are two vastly different positions with differing requirements for employment. But, why should I be paid the same wage as a nurse that is pals with the head nurse that allows that staff nurse to work on less patients or sit on their a$$ while others do the critical work? I know this from personal experience and is the reason that I advised my spouse to leave this loser union because this facility is doomed! Just ask any RN what the hospital census has been averaging the last month or two.

6southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 11 months, 1 week ago

too bad it has to come to a strike....there is always a disparity in the frontline vs. the upper echelon

7papa1(649 comments)posted 11 months, 1 week ago

the management of valley care are despicable. registered nurses are highly trained professionals. the next time these idiots are laying in a hospital clinging to life and are given the compassion and care that these wonderful people provide maybe, all though I doubt it, they'll realize how important they are. to tell RNS that "we're going to send you home today because things are a little slow right now is flat out stupid! so, they send them home and an hour later all hell breaks loose. it's glaringly obvious what this is about. they spend millions of dollars on fancy new equipment and figure they'll pay for it on the backs of the nurses by sending them home and saving money. this hospital has been under piss poor management for 20 years. some of those management people should be in prison right now. they squandered millions of dollars in a past strike rather than doing what was right. the valley should circle their wagons in support of these valuable caregivers and demand that this greedy corporation give them a fair contract. we need northside hospital in that part of town and to send these bloodsuckers a message. don't come to Youngstown and treat our professional caregivers like that or get the hell out of town!!