Youngstown council to vote on resolution in opposition to Ohio adopting a Stand Your Ground law

Published: Tue, September 17, 2013 @ 12:05 a.m.

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

City council will consider a resolution Wednesday in “strong opposition” to a Stand Your Ground law in Ohio and to a federal proposal for national reciprocity for concealed-carry handgun permits.

The resolution comes after the acquittal of George Zimmerman in July of second-degree murder and manslaughter during a high-profile case that raised questions about Florida’s Stand Your Ground law. The law allows people to use deadly force when they believe there is a perceived threat.

Zimmerman fatally shot Trayvon Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old male, on Feb. 26, 2012, contending he felt threatened, but his defense never used the law in his successful defense.

There is a bill in the Ohio General Assembly that would expand the situations in which a person wouldn’t need to retreat before using deadly force. Also, Congress is considering legislation that would permit a person with a concealed-carry permit in one state to have that right when traveling to other states. The House passed a bill last year in support of it by a vote of 272 to 154.

“The basis of self-defense in Ohio has worked for years, and I don’t think we need any more teeth,” said Councilman Nate Pinkard, D-3rd, who is chairman of the legislative body’s safety committee, a retired Mill Creek MetroParks police chief and one of the main forces backing the resolution.

“Also, I am not opposed to concealed-carry laws, but it should be a state’s right and not a federal law” to honor reciprocity, he said. “I’m comfortable with Ohio law on concealed carry, but other states are not as stringent as Ohio. This is a resolution telling our state Legislature that we are opposed to this.”

Councilman John R. Swierz, D-7th, who serves on the safety committee, said, “There’s a movement across the county against Stand Your Ground. We should not go down that path, and council will go on record that we don’t want to go down that path.”

Councilwoman Janet Tarpley, D-6th, said the Stand Your Ground law is too broad.

“It allows people to react how they feel and not necessarily by fact,” she said. “You have to have certain things in place to defend yourself like you see a gun. Stand Your Ground is too open to perception and not reality.”

Councilman Mike Ray, D-4th, said Stand Your Ground “is a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. I’m not anti-gun. I support reasonable legislation, but this isn’t.”

Comments

1ytownsteelman(627 comments)posted 10 months, 1 week ago

Here is city council, who has control over a police department that is not around when you need them, telling us residents that we shouldn't defend ourselves. We the people who own property in this lawless land known as Youngstown need every legal protection we can get as we do daily battle with the parasites who would take it all away from us.

2steelwagon(284 comments)posted 10 months, 1 week ago

If I catch you trying to break into my shop I'll give you one chance to surrender,lay down on the ground and wait for the police.

If you attempt to enter my home you're dead.
You will also not rob or in anyway accost me on the street.
The instant you threaten me ,my family with harm in anyway ,shape or form you will be shot where you stand.

I'm a law abiding citizen,I bother or pose no threat to anyone and neither myself or a family member is going to become a victim of street or domestic crime as we have the means of selfdefense and if need be willing to trust a jury of our peers.

The govt.can make or change all the gun laws,selfdefense laws they want.
Nothing the laws says will change the way I react should my life or the life of a family member come under threat.
I think most law abiding citizens feel the same way.

3gdog4766(1401 comments)posted 10 months, 1 week ago

It's not the laws that are problem, it idiots lack of understanding of those laws. An idiot in Florida shot three neighbors killing two after a verbal argument. And the idiot cited the stand your ground law. I have spoken with someone who told me under these laws if you see someone crossing your lawn you can legally shoot them. This is the problem with these laws.

4coolnumbers(63 comments)posted 10 months, 1 week ago

I do not need a special law to protect myself. I agree with Steelwagon...mess with my house and my family and the only thing needed is a body bag or two or three.

And then if I find out that the bodies in the bag were on bail or released on a technicality or had a long record with minimal sentencing I will start suing the city, county and state over the fact that I had to waste good ammunition on scum.

This needs to end. Law abiding people are the only ones impacted by the stupidity of some politician who is going to decide when I should let the scum have their way....

Just do it right people....

G. Gordon Liddy said, "Make sure you have a double tap to the head. That way when the police show up there is only one story! YOURS!"

5endthismess(301 comments)posted 10 months, 1 week ago

Steelwagon....right on the money...I agree.