Valley blacks check health numbers at first Wellness run/walk

Published: Sun, September 1, 2013 @ 12:09 a.m.

African American Male Wellness 5-Mile Run and Walk

By Sean Barron

news@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

As part of his workout regimen, Jerome Harrell walks about three miles, performs abdominal exercises and lifts light weights at the YMCA in downtown Youngstown.

Exercising a bit of vigilance also has paid off for the Liberty Township man.

“I feel good that at age 58, my signs on everything are good,” Harrell said after having his blood pressure, glucose level and cholesterol checked during Saturday’s first Youngstown/Warren African American Male Wellness 5-Mile Run and Walk. “I got the whole nine yards.”

The gathering at Holy Trinity Missionary Baptist Church, 505 Parkcliffe Ave. on the South Side, kicked off with free screenings for cholesterol, diabetes, blood pressure, weight, glucose and body-mass index.

Also included were tests for HIV and prostate cancer.

Afterward, more than 600 men, women and children rode bicycles, walked and ran up to five miles to promote good-health practices and the importance of early detection and prevention, especially in black males, noted the Rev. Dr. Lewis W. Macklin II, event chairman and Holy Trinity’s pastor.

Many health statistics show that diabetes, prostate cancer and other leading diseases kill a greater percentage of black men than their white counterparts.

In addition, 43 percent of black men and nearly 46 percent of black women develop hypertension, compared with 34 percent and 31 percent of white men and women, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes are the four leading causes of death for blacks, who make up roughly 13.5 percent of the U.S. population, according to the CDC.

As people age, they need to change their eating habits and place a greater emphasis on exercising, said Harrell, whose mother, Iva Harrell, 77, and father, Warren Harrell, 81, also got tested.

“He’s always trying to stay in shape,” the younger Harrell said about his father.

Also trying to achieve the same goal was 45-year-old Sheila Taylor of Niles, an intake worker for Mahoning-Youngstown Community Action Partnership.

“So far, everything is good,” Taylor said after being weighed and learning her blood sugar and blood pressure were normal. “I usually keep up with my numbers.”

More people should take advantage of free health screenings regardless of age, Taylor explained, adding that she heard about Saturday’s wellness walk from co-workers, as well as her 14-year-old daughter, Myra, a member of the Harambee Dancers, who performed during the gathering.

“You need to know, ‘Are you as healthy as you think you are?’” said Lynn Hines, president of the Youngstown-Warren Black Nurses Association, several members of whom provided the testing.

Also assisting with the screenings were students from ETI Technical College in Niles, along with personnel from Northeast Ohio Medical University, Humility of Mary Health Partners and Youngstown State University’s Respiratory Care program.

Many participants picked up information on sickle-cell anemia, prostate screenings for men age 40 and older, hepatitis testing and HMHP’s prescription-drug assistance program, and took advantage of offerings of healthful foods.

Also on hand were brochures about the Academy for Urban Scholars, a new Youngstown-based school that helps students age 14 to 21 receive their diplomas, noted Ronanda Palmer, admissions/records officer.

The program, which got underway in Columbus, crafts education plans specific to each student’s needs, said Palmer and Ron Miller, director.

The wellness walk and run debuted several years ago in Columbus before spreading to Dayton, Toledo and Youngstown, noted John Gregory, chief executive officer for the Columbus-based National Center for Urban Solutions.

Gregory, who’s also a founder of the local walk, noted that black men die at disproportionately higher rates from America’s leading diseases than any other group.

Any such walk and run also must focus on addressing mental-health problems, which often are connected to and exacerbate physical illnesses, said Dr. Mark White of Columbus, who hosts a one-hour health-talk program Saturday mornings on WVKO-AM 1580, a Columbus radio station.

Deeper grass-roots efforts to talk to black men about such challenges are needed, he added.

“This is not just an event, but an experience. We hope to take the experience to the community-at-large and save lives,” the Rev. Mr. Macklin said of Saturday’s wellness walk.

“We have to eat better, exercise and know our numbers. You have to do it right and make proactive changes that stimulate life.”

The gathering also had activities and games for children.

Comments

1redeye1(4576 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Madison They aren't Racists, only us whites are. Didn't you know that's what the PC leaders say now.

2auntiem4cabs(113 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree racist.
I think its not fair that there cannot be a White Girl College Fund.
I think its not fair that there are Black ANYTHING. THAT is racist. Can't we just be humans? African American this and United Black that.
We don't have any WHITE anything days.
I'm sick of it. I go to school and watch these kids ( I am 55) having to not pay, welfare pays for them, or get 3500 stipends because they have 5-6 kids on the Dole... I have LOANS that I will have to pay back. I'm white, unemployed, 55 and kinda broke. Guess who helps me??????

3koevolution(39 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

I read the title of the story and got the same dagger in the heart , let's see if its the Italian American festival or Irish American Festival or health walk .
What you can bet on is this , it will not be called the " valley whites hold first wellness run.
Black is a color not a race ...
Racist whites over the past centuries have called African Americans atleast 10 different so called race names.
It's odd my wife is Spanish and skin completion is darker then mine and her birth certificate says white .
My mother is Italian by dad is African American and my birth certificate says Negro .
Odd a our President was raised by his white mother and white grandmother and is never called a white man only black .
Color is not a race , but is the visual sin of American whites.
Italians with there big lips, noses and less then straight hair stood out and was punished for a different cultural look.
This is called racism, it still exist all over this country.

4koevolution(39 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Auntiem....
As white men raped thousands of little children daily !! They also said I don't understand why our " niggras "want to be free .
We feed them beat them even split the family up at will .
We abuse your your little kids ... Rape your wives, and we don't know why there not happy.
These are the Lawyers , Dr,s and political figures in the communities so called the educated elite .
They did not understand as folks today do not want to understand.
Evil has no heart or eyes ...
Whites want to forget were they came from and the evil there for fathers spawned.
I can't imaging my great great grand father raped and killed little children , that person would be put to death today , picture in the internet and all family disowned him.

5redeye1(4576 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

koevolutyion Who sold the blacks for slaves? Blacks did that's who. But I guess to you that isn't racist because it was one brother selling another brother. Secondly what my great great grand parents did or didn't do has NO affect on me. But the way I see it blacks still must like being slaves. Because most are there with their hands out looking anything free that they can get from the Gov't . Don't give this BS that they can't get good jobs either. It all starts with each and everyone of them . They must learn to stay in school and study hard just like anyone else to succeed in life. But do they do that? NO! They would rather sell drugs etc. That also is a sign of slavery because once a person is hooked , that person is owned by their drug pusher. But in your world that is okay because the pusher can drive a blinged out car and have nice clothes so he must be successful. It's just another example of your type of people who aren't really good role models, but once again the blacks condone it

6Robert_Neville(123 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

I wish they would have had free health care for me a poor white man. I have to file for bankruptcy. Everytime I get my heart medication. I pay out over 1200 dollars every month just to stay alive. They tell me Obama care will save me from being killed. I do not believe a thing they say. Everyone says the white man is rich. Hell they need to see my 1960 pinto. Ievery time I take it out I have to go to the dollar store to get duck tape. The rich people are the ones getting money from the Government. I am retired from the Government and only make 1900 a month. This help would have shown that I had a Heart Attach. The right color in this country is Black.

7MaryG(27 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Why has everyone turned this article into a racist thing? Can't it be seen as people just wanting to be healthy? We are all the same in God's eyes.