Judge's son charged with felony

Published: Tue, October 22, 2013 @ 12:07 a.m.

By kalea hall

khall@vindy.com

Canfield

Judge Theresa Dellick of the Mahoning County Juvenile Court contends her son is innocent of an aggravated-assault charge.

Police arrested John Dellick, 19, who is accused in a road-rage incident that occurred at 7:45 p.m. Friday on U.S. Route 224 and Lockwood Boulevard.

“In regard to my son, we believe he has been wrongfully charged, and his attorney is prepared to contest it,” the judge wrote in a statement.

“Neither I nor my family has ever expected special treatment, and the process that my son is facing is the best proof that special treatment was never expected nor received,” she continued. “Being a family that includes a public official does not exempt us from the daily issues and problems that face other families.”

A witness and the victim told the Mahoning County Sheriff’s Office that John Dellick threw something out the window while stopped at a red light at Lockwood and Route 224. Police said that act of littering prompted a confrontation between the two drivers.

John Dellick became vulgar with the man, according to a police report. Dellick, who was in front of the other driver, proceeded through the intersection but began to repeatedly hit the brakes, in an attempt to get the driver to hit his vehicle, the report said.

The other driver told police he passed Dellick to avoid any more confrontation, but Dellick proceeded to hit his car. The driver told police his car began to go sideways because of Dellick’s ramming into it.

The driver turned onto Stutz Drive and stopped. Dellick is then accused of getting out of his car and yelling obscenities at him. Some of the obscenities were racial slurs toward the driver and his wife, who was a passenger in the car, according to the report. Dellick specifically questioned the citizenship of the driver and his wife, who are both of Hispanic heritage, the report said.

“I just want to say that I am a citizen,” the passenger said in her statement to police.

The victims also claim John Dellick said, “My mother is a judge, it won’t be a problem,” and, “You don’t know who I am, my mother is a judge.”

“I do not have firsthand knowledge of what occurred at the scene, but both my family and I are supportive of all races and ethnicities,” the judge wrote. “I question the validity of the assertion because my son himself has Hispanic heritage.”

John Dellick was uncooperative with police after the incident, according to a police report. He was placed in handcuffs, put into a cruiser and taken to the Mahoning County jail. He was released Saturday after posting a $2,500 bond.

Several passengers were in the car with him. One of the passengers told police Dellick did hit the back of the victim’s car. The passenger also said it didn’t seem like Dellick attempted to run the victim off of the road.

John Dellick’s arraignment for the fourth-degree felony charge is at 5 p.m. Wednesday in Mahoning County Area Court in Canfield.

Comments

1CantStandYa(160 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Wow. A judges son commits a hate crime.

1) Nice parenting Theresa.
2) I hope the vindy and members of the public stay on top of this so he doesn't just end up performing community service for the green team/standing around while other people do actual work.
3) Channeling my inner Johnnie Cochran...
If he gets only a fine, she must resign.

2CantStandYa(160 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

This reminds me of the case of the court worker who's son ran over and killed a man and only got a year or two in jail. Youngstown justice. It's all who you know.

3UNCOMMONSENSE(394 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Actually impressed that the Mahoning County Sheriff's Department did not offer this young man a ride home! (Sciortino Taxi Service) This lady has shown poor judgment on the bench before and her comments regarding this incident are no surprise...vote her out.

4vinglass(246 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

He did make one true statement...
“My mother is a judge, it won’t be a problem,” and, “You don’t know who I am, my mother is a judge.”.
Now let the special treatment begin........

5DwightK(1304 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Takes a special person to elevate littering into an event where you're handcuffed and booked.

6rememberwhen(9 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

No, I think the people driving their cars need to mind their own business when someone is throwing something out a car window. That is exactly how trouble starts ,minding other peoples business. He is a teenager acting as one does. No differant then all of you who perhaps have done stupid things when you were a teenager. He wasn't drinking, doing drugs or getting in a fight. The fight was provoked because he thew something out the window, and the people in the other car wanted to take the law into their own hands.That is the job of the police, and believe me they probably would not have done anything with it, but we have our great heroes thinking they are going to do something about it.
Quite hating on people who have done things for this community.

7UNCOMMONSENSE(394 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

rememberwhen.. I hope nobody turns their head if something is happening to you or a family member. More people need to tell punks like this that their behavior is wrong. Let me know where you live so I can throw my trash on your property. He thinks he is special because his mommy is a judge and people like you and his mother enable him.

8lumper(284 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

what if either had a gun since ohio is a carry state ? one day jerk dellick is going to confront somebody who's going to shoot him and he won't be able to go home and cry to mommy anymore. sounds like a future domestic abuse loser too !

9auntiem4cabs(113 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

you would think... that a JUDGE, would understand that parents in denial, make the worst parents in the world!! Chalk one up for another corrupt judge in denial!!

10rob3909(4 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

why does this idiot still have a drivers license? who let him go on the last two offenses ? we need some names !!! this guy is an animal!! needs to be caged !!!