EMU player killed in apparent robbery

Associated Press


Demarius Reed played prep football at Chicago’s Simeon Academy, carefully avoiding any run-ins with the gangs on the city’s South Side.

He left his hometown to play ball at Eastern Michigan University, where he was a Communication, Media and Theater arts major. But the 20-year-old receiver dreamed of playing professional football before he was found shot to death Friday in what police believe was a robbery.

Joe L. Reed said he found irony in the tragedy of his grandson’s slaying: Demarius was able to survive the dangerous streets of Chicago only to become a victim in an off-campus apartment building in the perceived safety of a university community.

“He was an outgoing, beautiful kid. He wasn’t associated with no gang or anything,” Joe L. Reed said. “I would say, ‘Hey man. Don’t go outside.’ I wouldn’t let him associate with anybody over there.”

Over there, he said, is the area near Simeon. Many young people, including prominent athletes, don’t make it out.

Prep basketball standout Benji Wilson was shot to death in 1984 after bumping into two gang members near Simeon. In 2002, Englewood High School basketball star and honor student Maurice Davis was shot to death outside that South Side school after an earlier confrontation with other teens.

On Friday, hours after Reed’s family learned of his slaying, Joe L. Reed reflected on grandson’s gridiron success in high school and most recently at Eastern Michigan, located about 35 miles southwest of Detroit in Ypsilanti.

The NFL often was on Demarius’ mind.

“I told him ‘Man, you have to stay in that gym,”’ Joe L. Reed told The Associated Press in a telephone interview from Chicago. “He would say ‘I’m good enough.’ He loved the game.”

The elder Reed did have reservations about his grandson moving into an off-campus apartment.

“He was on scholarship,” he said. “He could have stayed on-campus.”

Demarius’ roommate found his body about 7:15 a.m. Reed had been shot multiple times and some of his personal items were missing, Ypsilanti police said in a release.

No arrests were made as of late Friday afternoon.

“The circumstances involving his death remain under investigation at this time by the Ypsilanti Police Department,” school President Susan Martin said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, and his teammates on the football team.”

Grief counselors met Friday with Reed’s teammates, other students and faculty. An afternoon forum was scheduled at the Student Center Auditorium to discuss the case with the campus community.

A home game today against Ohio University will be played as scheduled.

More like this from vindy.com

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.