Space heater may have caused fire on Bears Den Road

Space heater may have caused fire on Bears Den Road

YOUNGSTOWN

A fire at a West Side home about 12:20 p.m. Wednesday caused $7,000 in damage, fire reports show.

Crews were called to 2852 Bears Den Road and found light smoke showing when they arrived. Firefighters found a blaze in a back bedroom that they managed to put out.

The homeowner told firefighters he had left about 9 a.m. and when he returned about 12:15 a.m. he noticed the house was filled with smoke and he called 911. Reports said the homeowner told firefighters he was not sure if he turned off his portable electric space heater before he left, and that the heater had been tripping the breaker a lot recently.

Firefighters found the heater tipped over onto the carpet and the fire was contained to that area, reports said. The cause is listed as accidental. No one was injured.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.