Outcome of mayoral race a surprise

Published: Fri, May 10, 2013 @ 12:00 a.m.

By David Skolnick (Contact)

On the side

A fond farewell: This is the last day at The Vindicator for Dennis Mangan, the newspaper’s editorial page editor. Dennis is retiring after more than 41 years working here. At times, my columns can be a little, uh, unusual, yet Dennis always allowed me to write whatever I wanted. He always left somewhat obscure references in my columns, typically after checking to see from where they originated.

I’ve sat through hundreds of editorial board interviews with Dennis, who’s probably participated in thousands of them. His insight, intelligence, wit, knowledge, and tenacity will be missed as will his talent to write excellent editorials and columns.

Green Party: Thanks to a Green Party primary for Youngstown council president, the number of registered members of that political party in the city increased from 20 to 54, said Susie Beiersdorfer, who won the primary 42 to 8, beating Terrance P. Esarco.

There were some people, including myself, surprised by the results of the Democratic primary for Youngstown mayor.

Before the primary, several people asked me what I thought of the race.

Based on several factors — more money, more major endorsements and previous election results — I, and others, thought John A. McNally IV would win by 15 percent to 20 percent.

One Youngstown political insider told me McNally, a former Mahoning County commissioner and city law director, would beat City Council President Jamael Tito Brown by 50 percent.

In the end, McNally won by 2.29 percentage points, which is only 150 votes.

Take away McNally’s strong showing in the predominately white 4th Ward on the city’s West Side, and Brown would have won the primary by 663 votes. (Read my Sunday article to get an analysis of a ward-by-ward breakdown of the mayoral race.)

The primary results largely show those who reside in predominately white areas voted for McNally and those in predominately black areas voted for Brown.

That’s been the case for years in Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley — and in many, many other places in this country — when there is a credible black candidate facing a credible white candidate for elected office.

A closer-than-expected Democratic primary win means McNally is vulnerable in the November general election.

Five independent mayoral candidates filed to run for mayor in the general election.

The five still need to have their candidacies certified by the county board of elections.

It’s far too early to make predictions for a November election, and my track record with such matters is spotty at best.

But one positive going for McNally is four of the five independents — including his likely top two challengers, DeMaine Kitchen, the mayor’s chief of staff/secretary, and former Police Chief Jimmy Hughes — are black.

Unless Kitchen or Hughes quits the race or one fails to get certified to the ballot, they’ll split the black vote.

If they’re both in the race, McNally will likely win the general election by a more comfortable margin than his 150-vote victory Tuesday.

In two conversations I’ve had with McNally since the primary, he recognizes that he must do something to step up his campaign if he’s to win in November.

He just doesn’t know what it is at this point.

“We need to get more people out [to vote] in the general,” he said. “We’ll have to do more register-to-vote efforts. But I’m not sure how you can convince more people to vote.”

McNally said his campaign sent early-voter information to 2,200 registered voters who were likely to cast ballots in the primary.

Only 1,959 Democrats in the entire county voted early.

He’ll probably use that strategy again for the general election, even with the so-so results.

McNally will also run commercials on television and radio, among other things, and work to come up with something else.

Comments

1chuck_carney(499 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Looks like the Obama-ites didn't come out to vote for Brown. Probably because there were no free van rides to the polls, free hats and t-shirts or promises of give-ways and handouts..

2TERRAPINST(307 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Flick is jealous of McNally. Flick is on of those bitter folks whose candidates always lose or else he'd have a public sector job. Flick would do anything to have a PERS position and is green with envy over those who do. Flick is a sore loser. Flick is un-American and doesn't believe in innocent until proven guilty. Flick is one of those kooky, South County Democrat type bad-mouthers whose candidates continually get beat. He is starting a secret, think-tank, gadfly public investigation watchdog group to boil up conspiracy theories with Jim Callen. Their gonna fly Debbie Taylor in for consulting services and Rubentsien's gonna do all the smear tactic media relations, then their gonna see if Gains can use the power of his office to indict people cause they don't like them.

3TERRAPINST(307 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Flick, I bet you sit around all day listening to Dan Rivers and collecting disability while you spew your ugliness across the Valley. How about this Fick I will post my name and personal email if you have the B----s to do the same. C'mon tough guy, put your money where your mouth is. NAME FOR NAME. I bet for sure your friends with folks like Hamady, Mezzaros. former Belinky minion I bet. Before that though, I bet you cuddled up with Don Hanni on a regular basis and when he got spanked you never got over it.

4TERRAPINST(307 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Actually Im a Republican, but c'mon hard ass-name for name. See the party I support has NO felons unlike the corrupt democratic machine you keep rolling on and on. Wanna get rid of folks like the Cafaros and McNallys-vote Republican you archaic, old school, union dependent, Obama loving bust out wang. I just can't stand how dumb you sound, I don't know McNally or Cafaros, but your unwarranted hate is typical of the Youngstown illiterate Democrat mongering. You just SOUND like a jerk. You think youre better than everybody, oh I've got it your Phil Kidd-another guy with no accomplishments and all the answers. Cmon real name for real name.

5oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Same ole Youngstown, I like the name for name even tho there has been no response.
I will say this Kidd is not pushing his ideas down any ones throat he is merely pointing out the obvious need for restructure.

6TERRAPINST(307 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

It's funny how individuals who spend their every moment on this board to discredit the character of others without proof are so sensitive when the tables are turned. Okay Flick you're right. I know you're unable to take what you dish out. So let me ask politely: Have you ever voted for any Republican? Do you believe in innocence until proof determines otherwise. Are you bitter about the loss of your own candidates. Do you hide on message boards, bad-mouth others and then cry when it happens to you? In my opinion, so as not to hurt your feelings, you are a coward. C'mon Flick ol' boy: name for name. I bet that you kiss McNally's a-- when you see him, and badmouth him on this board- for sure you're that type of dude. Oldskool appreciate some minor support, my problem with Kidd is that he should actually accomplish something before critiquing the activities of others, but yeah he's within his rights.

7kat0227(5 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh, Terrapinst...I want to hug you. Especially since you called out Phil Kidd...