The Southern Park Stables will have new life with the help of two local organizations.
Boardman Township Park and the Mahoning County 4-H announced a partnership to bring programs to the stables on Washington Boulevard in Boardman.
The groups plan to establish a 4-H community club for the neighborhood, start a community garden using models already in place in Youngstown, and host 4-H clinics and Equine Team competition practices at the stables, according to a press release by the Boardman Township Park District.
Horse camps are also planned for the facility and the two groups want to use the stables for “leadership events, using horses and other animals as a method for teaching teamwork,” park officials stated in the release.
Southern Park Stables was originally a private training stable and was built in 1912 to house standardbred horses that raced at Southern Park Trotting Track, one block south of the stables, according to the park district. The stable is the last standing structure of the complex known as Southern Park.
Janie S. Jenkins donated the former Southern Park Stable to the park district, and the stables were placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2003, the property received an Ohio Historical Marker.