Students get lesson in international diplomacy
Neighbors | Submitted .Boardman High School students participated in the Model United Nations Conference at Youngstown State University on April 26.
Thirty-eight Boardman High School students participated in Model United Nations Conference at Youngstown State University on April 26.
The purpose of this activity is to allow students to gain a better understanding of international conflict and diplomacy. Students assume the role of ambassadors for a foreign nation and work together in an attempt to resolve many current world issues. Topics of discussion this year included drug trafficking, the spread of HIV, the Syrian conflict and nuclear proliferation.
The following Boardman High School students received awards for their performance at the YSU conference:
• Mo Akbar, Pakistan – Security Council
• Fred Ouimet, Togo – Security Council
• Joe Lamping and Ryan Bailey, United States – Security Council
• Katya Sracic and Abby Slater, United Kingdom – Security Council
• Nick Hura and Aaron Mills, United States – First Committee
• Carmen Marinucci and Justin Maroni, Columbia – Office of Drugs and Crime
• Noura Azeem and Caty Baker, Egypt – Arab League
• Nick Cordova and Sumner Schreiber, Russia – Office of Drugs and Crime
• Travis Filicky, Azerbaijan – Security Council