Chief of staff Kitchen, retired chief Hughes will run for mayor

Published: Fri, May 3, 2013 @ 12:05 a.m.

By David Skolnick

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

The winner of Tuesday’s Democratic primary for mayor will have competition in the November general election.

DeMaine Kitchen, the mayor’s chief of staff/ secretary, and ex-Police Chief Jimmy Hughes confirmed they will run as independent candidates for mayor.

Kitchen will file his nominating petitions today while Hughes will do so either today or by Monday’s deadline for independent candidates to turn in the forms.

Kitchen, appointed to his current post in August 2011 by Mayor Charles Sammarone after serving as 2nd Ward councilman, said no other candidate running for mayor has his combination of experience as a city legislator and member of the city administration.

“I’ve not just been a witness to change, but have been involved in the hands-on implementation,” he said. “Who better to continue the success? I feel I’m in the best position to lead the city.”

Kitchen has served as Sammarone’s point-of-contact on demolition and on the federal Strong Cities, Strong Communities initiative, designed to give struggling cities needed resources to spur economic growth and operational efficiencies.

While Kitchen is a longtime Democrat, he chose to run as an independent.

“It was more strategic to run as an independent,” he said. “I didn’t want to saturate the primary.”

The Democratic primary candidates are John A. McNally IV, a former Mahoning County commissioner and city law director, Council President Jamael Tito Brown and Matthew Smith.

The mayoral seat is open with Sammarone, appointed to the job in August 2011 when then-Mayor Jay Williams resigned, is running as the Democratic nominee for council president, a position he’s held for 17 years.

Hughes, who retired as police chief in 2011 after 35 years on the force, told The Vindicator in February that he would run as an independent after initially filing for the seat as a Democrat and withdrawing before the certification deadline.

“I think I’m the best candidate,” he said Thursday. “I’m all about the city. I attended city schools and Youngstown State University. I live in the neighborhoods. It’s not easy to go from the projects to every rank in the Youngstown Police Department all the way up to chief. I had options to leave, and I did not take them. All I ever did was for the city.”

Hughes, who unsuccessfully ran for county sheriff in last year’s Democratic primary, described himself as “the only nonpolitician in this race.”

The former police chief said a key issue in the race is safer neighborhoods, and if elected, “I guarantee safer neighborhoods.”

Also, Frank Bellamy, who lost the 2009 Democratic primary to Williams, and John M. Crea filed Thursday as independent mayoral candidates.

Others may also file by Monday’s deadline.

Comments

1Southside_Res(172 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Both are as about worthless. Not even sure why they're running. Just because Williams got elected on an independent ticket, they have hope? Remember, Williams left the city when it needed him most. DeMaine Kitchen is famous for saying that all the city's woes aren't his problem because they didn't happen on his watch. I don't know how many countless times he said that to me. And, jimmy Huges, in my mind, he was the most unprofessional police chief we ever had. And he wants to be mayor?!!! Honestly, the city has come to the dregs of society for its leadership. No wonder we have so many problems and can't pull ourselves out. These two are as worthless as any candidate I might see on a ballot. But, you know, with what's left for stupid votership in Youngstown, I can see one of these worthless candidates being voted in. Par for the course around here!

2Bman(151 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

"....Brown and Kitchen are longtime friends. Kitchen said he would definitely stay in the race even if Brown won the Democratic primary...."

Kitchen's race hasn't even started and the lies are beginning.

This is a legit question because I want to know: has Kitchen ever had a job outside of government? Kitchen's experience as a legislator and administrator, what actually qualified him to get those positions?

3DwightK(1256 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

It's too bad Mayor Sammarone won't stay on. The entire field of candidates is awful.

4TERRAPINST(302 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Flick: Now it's corrupt McNally, corrupt Brown and corrupt Kitchen. Flick you're a wang.

5TERRAPINST(302 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Flick you are a a wang. Charlie Sheen's conspiracy theory website is currently hiring wangs such as yourself

6rafcruzjr(12 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

All I look at are results. I've been a part of a committee that includes representatives from law enforcement, the judicial system, clergy and the mayor's office. DeMaine Kitchen organized this committee to become a team that would work together in reducing violence and improving the state of our community. Last year we saw murders completely stop from late June to mid-August - the time period we began to implement street events. That time period should have seen an increase in murders. Any improvement is good for our city. I like results. It's easy to criticize, and many do, but I prefer to hear from those who are actually doing something for our community. DeMaine Kitchen is doing more than we've seen in many years.