Remains of Boston Marathon bombing suspect claimed
BOSTON (AP) — The body of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was the subject of a massive manhunt and died in a gunbattle with police, was claimed today.
Department of Public Safety spokesman Terrel Harris said a funeral home retained by Tsarnaev’s family picked up the 26-year-old’s remains. He had no more information.
The medical examiner determined Tsarnaev’s cause of death on Monday, but officials said it wouldn’t become public until his remains were released and a death certificate was filed. It was unclear this evening whether the death certificate had been filed.
Tsarnaev’s widow, Katherine Russell, who has been living with her parents in North Kingstown, R.I., learned this week that the medical examiner was ready to release his body and wanted it released to his side of the family, her attorney Amato DeLuca said days ago.
Tsarnaev’s uncle Ruslan Tsarni, of Maryland, said Tuesday night the family would take the body.
“Of course, family members will take possession of the body,” Tsarni said. “We’ll do it. We will do it. A family is a family.”
Tsarnaev, who had appeared in surveillance photos wearing a black cap and was identified as Suspect No. 1, died days after the bombing.
The April 15 bombing, near the marathon’s finish line, killed three people and injured more than 260 others.