Judge nearly halves Samsung damages
SAN JOSE, Calif.
A federal judge Friday erased nearly half of the $1 billion in damages that a jury decided that Samsung Electronics should pay Apple in a high-profile trial over the rights to the design and technology running some of the world’s most popular smartphones and tablet computers.
U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh lowered the damages awarded to Apple Inc. by $450.5 million, saying jurors had not properly followed her instruction in calculating some of the damages. She also concluded that mistakes had been made in determining when Apple first had notified Samsung about the purported violations of the patents for its trend-setting iPhone and IPad.
The ruling reduced Samsung Electronics’ bill to just under $599 million.
Judge Koh also ordered a new trial on Apple’s allegations that Samsung stole its ideas for more than a dozen different smartphones and tablet computers that include several models in Samsung’s hot-selling Galaxy line-up.
The new trial leaves open the possibility that Samsung’s damages bill could rise back up toward $1 billion, or even higher, depending on the findings of a new jury.
Jobless rate in Italy hits 11.7 percent
Italy’s voters gave their verdict on the austerity medicine they’ve been forced to take when they went to the polls earlier this week. By Friday, one of the reasons behind the protest was highlighted when the country’s unemployment rate hit its highest level in at least two decades.
Official figures Friday showed that unemployment in the country in January rose to 11.7 percent from December’s 11.3 percent. January’s figure was the highest since the current method of measuring unemployment was introduced in 1992.
The unexpectedly large monthly spike was one of the key backdrops to the election results earlier this week that reignited concerns over Europe’s debt crisis. No party, or coalition of parties, emerged with enough votes to govern alone, triggering uncertainty in the markets about the future course of the country’s economic policy.
Company: US might OK horse slaughter
Federal officials have indicated they soon might grant the inspection needed to start processing horse meat at a southeastern New Mexico slaughterhouse. But the Obama administration threw a new twist in a more than yearlong debate over how best to humanely deal with a rising number of abused and neglected horses with a statement urging Congress to reinstate a ban on equine slaughter.
The revelations Friday came on the heels of public outcry over recent cases where horse meat was found mixed with other meat products in Europe.
Attorney A. Blair Dunn says the U.S. Department of Justice, in a response to a lawsuit by Valley Meat Co., told him this week that agriculture officials hope to grant the inspection for the Roswell slaughterhouse in the next 45 to 60 days.