Man accused of mowing down geese in Boardman pleads not guilty

Published: Fri, June 21, 2013 @ 12:03 a.m.

Staff report

BOARDMAN

The Youngstown man police believe is responsible for driving into a flock of geese near Walmart on May 30, killing three and injuring one, entered a not-guilty plea Thursday.

Jason Logiudice of Youngstown pleaded not guilty in absentia before Judge David A. D’Apolito, through his attorney in Mahoning County Area Court.

Logiudice is scheduled to appear in Boardman court at 4 p.m. Aug. 1 for his pretrial hearing. He turned himself in to Boardman police last week and is charged with cruelty to animals, said, Jack Nichols, Boardman police chief.

A woman discovered a full-grown goose and two goslings dead on Doral Drive near Walmart on May 30.

A third gosling was injured but managed to make its way to a grassy area nearby.

When police arrived, they discovered several body parts of the geese.

Police watched surveillance video and discovered a blue Ford pickup truck traveling south on Doral Drive had passed a van heading in the opposite direction.

As the vehicles passed, police noticed several geese fleeing. Police were unable to determine, at the time, who was responsible and couldn’t retrieve license-plate numbers from the vehicles. But they received several tips that the driver of the pickup truck was responsible.

Comments

1kensgirl(627 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

What a sick POS. This man has no regard for animals. It has been proven that people who hurt others start out by hurting animals. Send this idiot to jail or make him work in an animal shelter. Garbage!

2steelwagon(284 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

No there's no shortage of geese but if this was a deliberate act then it's an act of cruelty.
If this person did in fact do this on purpose then he's capable of doing the same to other animals like someones pet dog or cat that gets lose and wanders onto the road.

If it was done to avoid hitting another motorist or causing an accident then there's no crime and pardon the pun no foul.
Before we condem the man his guilt must be proven.

I'd like to believe that it was an accident and only happened to avoid causing a more serious crash.
A person would have to be mighty vile,evil and cruel to kill a mother goose and her babies on purpose.
Someone you certainly wouldn't want anywhere near children !

3monkeyx22(4 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Its funny how some people judge just by reading the news. I feel sorry for all the people who believe the media because I know for a fact it was a mistake and he didn't mow them down and is not a pos and would never hurt a fly. It was a accident and he is the best man I know. So stop judging people when you don't know the facts and thank you to the people who aren't judging.

4dtblud(1 comment)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I ran over a squirrel about 25years ago, darted right in front of me, I didn't swerve, didn't try to avoid it, it just happened. I felt bad about it. But I'm really glad I wasn't in Boardman! I might still be in prison for animal cruelty! I'm also really glad that Dawn Hayes, the woman that didn't see anything at all happen but called the cops cause "it had to have been done deliberately" wasn't around, since she is apparently an accredited forensic scientist to be able to look at a dead animal on the side of the road and say it was done on purpose, I wouldn't have had a chance if she was their with her wicked science. Seriously? The cops are spending time and tax dollars to investigate this? Did he get out of his truck, tie the geese to the rear bumper and drag them to pieces? That would be animal cruelty. Did he leave the road to "mow" them down as some of you other apparent forensic scientists have suggested? That might be animal cruelty. Did he grab a goose and tie it out in his back yard for the rest of its life to "honk" all day cause its lonely? Like a bunch of you judgmental Cretans do with your dogs? that is animal cruelty. No wait, the cops can't even tell what happened or what vehicle actually hit them. "As the vehicles passed, police noticed several geese fleeing. Police were unable to determine, at the time, who was responsible and couldn’t retrieve license-plate numbers from the vehicles." so this witch I mean forensic scientist Dawn Hayes sees some dead geese, insists it was done on purpose, and calls the cops. The cops can't tell anything from a video, yet they make a case of it. Only God knows why. So this poor bloke, hears the hub bub, goes to the cops and is honest 'cause he feels bad says, hey I was there and I hit the geese but not on purpose" and now its this big blown up animal cruelty case. why? And half you idiots are jumping on the witch hunt bandwagon and you don't even know wtf happened. again, why? Wow am I glad I don't live in Boardman. such a Waste of time, waste of tax dollars. story over.

5grg019(34 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

@ Ysu... So you suggest this man just slam into a human being rather than geese? I'm having difficulty understanding that. Btw, I don't know this guy nor am I his friend.