John Knox Presbyterian Church, 1806 Market St., Youngstown, has started the process of merging with Christ Church Presbyterian, Canfield Road, Youngstown. The John Knox building is up for sale through Friedkin Realty.
1900s: South United Presbyterian Church was formed in 1907, and the Rev. D.C. Fulton was installed as pastor in June 1908.
1910s: The Rev. James MacDonald was installed as pastor. The sanctuary was dedicated in March 1917.
1920s: The church sponsored missionaries, Margaret and Lowrie Anderson in 1926. In 1928, a 26-rank Votteler organ was installed.
1930s: The Rev. Mr. MacDonald served as moderator of the General Assembly for the national church.
1940s: The Revs. William Shane and Charles Skuce served as pastors.
1950s: The Rev. Lowrie Anderson served as General Assembly moderator. In May 1958, a new education wing was dedicated. A Boy Scout troop was at the church in the 1950s and ‘60s. In 1959, South United Presbyterian Church merged with Evergreen United Presbyterian Church to form John Knox Presbyterian. The Rev. Bob Harriman was pastor.
1960s: In 1962, the Rev. Richard Braun was pastor and marched in Selma, Ala., in 1965.
1970s: The church had its first mission trip to Arnold, Miss. In the 1970s, the church sponsored International Volunteers in Mission. Mike Smith was in Kenya, Africa; Smith and Alex Downie were at Miraj Medical Center in India; Downie was in India and Nepal. Mission trips continued to 1990.
1980s: Church sponsored Fellowship Mission Workers including Chris and Alex Downie in Zaire, Africa. From 1989 to 1993, the church sponsored the Joy of Christmas. Rooms at the church were decorated in a theme and visitors received favors.
1990s: An elevator was installed. The 26-rank organ was refurbished for $200,000. The church hosted a speech by Bishop Desmond Tutu’s daughter. The church, working with Donnell Ford, participated in Adopt-A-School program with Williamson Elementary School.
2000s: The Rev. Mr. Braun retired in 2001. The Rev. Jeanine Haven was installed pastor in 2004.
Missions in the church: The church has been a Meals on Wheels site since 1980. It also is the location of the English Center and foster grandparents program.
Of note: A few John Knox members can trace their family membership back some 90 years and four generations.
Source: Church records