Fire does $20,500 damage to South Side home
A woman was treated for an anxiety attack after a fire at her 69 E. Philadelphia Ave. home on the South Side that started about 9:40 a.m. today.
Crews who arrived found fire coming from a second floor window, reports said. Reports said the fire started on a mattress on the second floor and spread throughout the upper floors of the home.
A woman in a first floor bedroom was helped out of the house by a neighbor while a woman who was on the second floor told firefighters she lit a cigarette in one of the bedrooms but could not remember if she turned the lighter off. She got out safely as well and was treated for the anxiety attack.
Damage is listed at $20,500. There were no injuries.