Judy Sheesley disappointed 20-year-old won’t take responsibility for her daughter’s death

Staff report


Judy Sheesley said she’s disappointed that Tyler Stevens, the 20-year-old Girard man who gave her daughter a fatal dose of heroin a year ago, still hasn’t accepted responsi- bility for his role in her death.

“I was hoping with all the time that has passed and all the drugs out of your system that you would begin to show some remorse, but I have watched you testify, and you have written me a letter, and you still haven’t taken any responsibility,” Judy Sheesley said Monday.

Judy Sheesley’s remarks, read in the courtroom of Judge Peter Kontos of Trumbull County Common Pleas Court by Sheesley relative Gerri Wagner, occurred just before Stevens received a five-year prison sentence.

The sentence was offered to Stevens in exchange for his testimony in last month’s trial of James Patterson, 27, of Youngstown, convicted of selling the drugs to Stevens that killed Christine Sheesley of Girard. Patterson received a 20-year prison sentence.

Judge Kontos followed through on the five-year prison sentence county prosecutors offered to Stevens for his cooperation. Stevens did not speak at the sentencing.

“I had dreams for my daughter Christine, dreams of her graduating from high school, dreams of her going off to college and dreams to watch her grow into a young woman and start a family of her own,” Judy Sheesley said.

Christine Sheesley would have been a senior at Girard High School this year.

She went out with family members April 6, 2012, for her 17th birthday and later walked to Stevens’ apartment on Park Avenue to inject heroin, prosecutors said.

Stevens injected her and himself with $50 worth of heroin that Sheesley bought with $50 in cash, according to trial testimony.

But around 9:30 p.m., shortly after the injection, a longtime girlfriend found her unconscious in Stevens’ apartment and attempted to wake her but could not. She remained unconscious until about 9 a.m. the next day, when police found her dead.

“Tyler, you spent all that time calling your friends and family to check on my daughter but not once in almost 12 hours did you call for help with 911 or just drop her off at a hospital,” Judy Sheesley said.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.