OSU's Gee retires after Notre Dame comments

Published: Tue, June 4, 2013 @ 4:04 p.m.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio State University President Gordon Gee announced his retirement Tuesday after he came under fire for jokingly referring to "those damn Catholics" at Notre Dame and poking fun at the academic quality of other schools.

Ohio State initially called the remarks unacceptable and placed Gee on a "remediation plan" to improve his behavior.

Gee, 69, said in a statement he decided during a vacation last week that he would step down July 1.

"During my days away, I also spent some time in self-reflection," Gee said. "And after much deliberation, I have decided it is now time for me to turn over the reins of leadership to allow the seeds that we have planted to grow. It is also time for me to re-energize and refocus myself."

According to a recording of a Dec. 5 meeting obtained by The Associated Press under a public records request, Gee said Notre Dame was never invited to join the Big Ten conference because "those damn Catholics" can't be trusted.

Gee also took shots at schools in the Southeastern Conference and the University of Louisville, according to the recording of the meeting of the school's Athletic Council.

Gee apologized when the comments were revealed in an AP story last week, saying they were wrong and didn't reflect what the university stands for. "They were a poor attempt at humor and entirely inappropriate," he said in a May 30 statement. "There is no excuse for this and I am deeply sorry."

Comments

1redeye1(4632 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Good But he should have been FIRED !!! People have said alot of things that were alot less offensive and they were fired

2NilesOhio(753 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Freedom of speech? Only if you're a minority.

3AtownAugie(706 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Tressel should have fired Gee when he had the chance.

4NoBS(1982 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Tressel to Gee: "Karma's a b$#ch."

5lumper(284 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

i'm catholic and what he said is true.

6VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Finally...he should have done the school a favor and left years ago. This joker has been an embarrassment to OSU for years and I could not believe they re-hired him back again a few years back.

When I had out-of-state family visit us during the holidays and we would watch a Gordon Gee interview during an OSU game, the out-of-state family members, would say ... "You have got to be kidding me...he's the President of Ohio State University?"

7taxme(345 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Are you kidding me? lol. he shouldn't have spoken out load but what he said was probably true. Lets face it back in the day every moffia character had a catholic priest in his back pocket so he could buy forgiveness. He should step down but my LORD. Freedom of Speech!!! I would like to see ND in the Big 10.

8Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Society just can't joke around anymore. Oh, to bring back the good old days when you use to say something and no one got in such a uproar over it. The future of America is going downhill very fast. Everyone is becoming robots and watching every word they say. Such a shame. PC killed America.

9ytownsteelman(631 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

THAT is all that he said? That is nothing! Lighten up everyone!

10typical(9 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree, lighten up! I'm Catholic and I refer to "those damn Catholics" all the time. Its called a JOKE! Wow!