Mom claims daughter’s diploma was denied

Published: Mon, June 3, 2013 @ 12:00 a.m.

Staff report

BOARDMAN

The mother of a Boardman High School Class of 2013 member was angered after claiming her daughter was denied her diploma because she arrived at Sunday’s commencement too late.

The woman said she and other parents had received letters stating no one would be allowed entrance to the high-school gym after 2 p.m., the ceremony’s start time.

The woman added, however, that school officials locked the doors at 1:40 p.m.

As a result, her daughter “walked out sobbing” after someone told her she had arrived too late, and her diploma was withheld, the mother stated.

Nevertheless, it appeared the gym was filled to capacity shortly before the commencement began.

Efforts to reach the superintendent of schools and several other school district officials were unsuccessful Sunday night.

Comments

1mdenise(2 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

That's ridiculous if true. I'm sure there was a space saved for a graduate. Boooooo Boardman High School.

2123pem(1 comment)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

I was in attendance for graduation, graduates were requested to start arriving at 1 pm. The doors were locked promptly at 2 pm, not 1 minute prior. Graduate..welcome to the adult world, it was your responsibility to be there on time for the event!

3busyman(239 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Like the parent who brought the graduate there late, this generation believes that everyone should be on their time. Why did this make the news. There are more important things in this world to report on then somebody not be allowed into a graduation because they did not get there when they were supposed too. Let us quit filling up empty media columns with crap stories of this nature.

4Lmendez1976(5 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

This is the mother. To the one who commented the doors were closed at two not a minute before you are going to be pretty enbarassed when the story is rewritten with actual facts from myself and Mr Saxton (the school principal). Vindi contacted all involved to ensure accuracy.Everyone has admitted doors were closed at 1:45 that was never the question. The question was why. To the one who stated my daughter was late she was there at 12:30 with the rest of the graduates I drove her and returned later with rest of family. As far as the possible coffee stop, shame on you, who cares what stops were made prior to arrival, I'm going to speculate you are a smart-alec with minimal respect. Mr Saxton sent letters in which I quote "The doors will close at 2:00 p.m. Late arrivals will be seated in the auditorium" Please note 2:00 not 1:45. It is not unusual to arrive at an event 15 to 20 mins early. To the one who said graduate welcome to real world, my daughter is a young woman who I have raised to have morals and convictions. She certainly did walk out to stand up for her family after attempting to notify several people and was ignored. That is why she did not walk the stage. I never said that she was denied her diploma. As a matter of fact I waited around to personally speak to Mr Saxton where he also assured me the orders to close those doors HAD NOT been given by him.He also delivered my daughter her diploma. It was solely BPDs desicion to lock doors early. It wasnt just I who was not allowed in, there were several parents and family members. One gentleman traveled 1400 miles to see his son and was denied, but perhaps he also stopped for coffee. There was a single father of a young man who has been through alot. He only had his dad there cheering him on. He also did not get to see his son walk the stage. And these are just a few of parents and family members who missed out on their young ones special day. To the ignorant person with the multiple choice quiz . Its d) NONE OF THE ABOVE. This was about alerting the school administration so that this NEVER occurs again. They had no clue it took place.The superintendent of BHS was my childrens principal in Elementary I know what a great guy he is and would never allow that to happen. I also know Mr Saxton is very passionate about his school and students.Although he is not directly responsible he is taking full responsibility for the unfortunate event. He realizes ultimately that BHS hired BPD to secure premises. He is also very well aware that moving forward those doors need to be not only guarded by a police officer but also by an administrator who is vested in our children. Mr Saxton was not only extremely sinsere but never did try to make excuses and that I am grateful for. For all of you who posted your negative opinions do you have children.

5Lmendez1976(5 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

..........As far as BPD that is another can of worms. What I do know is that they prevented me from entering the gymnasium. At first they also prevented my daughter from returning. When they decided she ALONE could come back it was too late ,someone had falsely said that the graduate was gone at which point they pulled her diploma. Clearly this was false. The one female officer actually thought the situation was funny and laughed several times as well as threatened to have my daughter arrested due to my daughters outburst. I would be outraged as well if after 13 years of hard work my mom would not get to see me graduate with no fault of her own. However i am not going to form an opinion because I have not spoken to BPD since incident. I will say this much ,they had no sympathy or compassion for my daughter. They allowed their pride and lack of humility to stand in the way in correcting their mistake. They repeatedly lied to me blaming the early closing on BHS administration. Furthermore they assured me they were contacting Mr Saxton. Upon finally communicating with him I realized that never took place. Later they changed story saying the order came from one of the other officers I will not mention his name out of respect for him since he cannot defend himself. This is alot more then he showed myself and my family. Right wrong or indifferent there was a clear breakdown in communication between the school and officers. You can see how ridiculous your comments are. My daughter cried when she read them. Thank you for that ,she was not humiliated enough and did not shed enough tears yesterday. This is in no way to bash anyone. My daughter along with other students will never get this day back .This was unacceptable. I want to be sure this doesnt ever happen again.

6busyman(239 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Quit your ranting!! I am surprised a person with you vigor did not video this moument? You could have played it on You Tube. There had to be a reason the BPD wanted the doors locked. With all the idiots that some parents are raising, there was probably some prank that was ging to happen. Give it a break. If you can not handle the heat of this forum that you should not have started all this crap.

7OddBuckeye(3 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

The only people who are disgusted with this article are people who have children far removed from school (and quite certain those who do not pass help levy's either!!)
It's STUPID to close doors a minute before the time stated on the tickets let alone 15-20min before. ESPECIALLY, when a person on ONE SIDE OF THE GLASS is holding tickets for their family to get in (again with 20min to spare) and the police turn the family away and tell the person to go back to the seat to which they came from. And when the family SIMPLY says "But she is right there with our tickets" the police say "One more word and YOU will be arrested too!"
SOOOOOOO glad I voted FOR the BPD's levy to expand their manpower so they can act like douche bags at commencement exercises!!!

8Lmendez1976(5 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Busyman your education level is evident. Furthermore you clearly have no children. To speak of people's children as IDIOTS shows your true content and character. I will not further indulge in your silliness. Feel free in continuing to sound foolish and ignorant. I cleared the error here as any good parent would have done. You just cant handle the fact that you were misinformed . You appear to be the type of negative person just looking for reasons to justify your cruelty. Thank you for your post. After all you do have freedom of speech.

9Old_School(39 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Listen up people. The Gym was full at 1:40. Not one seat left. NOT ONE! If your daughter was their at 12:30 then what the heck was she doing during the line-up of students? Why was she not lined up with the others?
It's not the schools fault that you got their after the gym was full and closed to all....BECAUSE IT WAS COMPLETELY FULL! Once it's full, how did you expect to get a seat weather it was 1:40 or 1:59?

10OddBuckeye(3 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

@oldschool.... I was seated on left side, top left section and there WAS extra seating.
We also aquired extra tickets that afternoon so if the gym was at "maximum capacity" how would I not only have the rest of the tickets for my family but also extra tickets from other people?
An additional fact, the very top row of bleachers on the left side was COMPLETELY empty! Like the covelli center, there are no "bad seats" in that gym since its small. So if someone had a ticket and arrived prior to 2pm, the right thing would be to admit them!