Reminder: Anti-fracking rally Monday in downtown Warren

Published: Fri, July 26, 2013 @ 3:14 p.m.

WARREN — More than 15 public-advocacy and activist groups will gather Monday in the city for an anti-fracking rally that the organizations say is expected to draw hundreds of people.

The rally will take place at Courthouse Square in the city’s downtown beginning at 11:30 a.m.

For the complete story, read Saturday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1kurtw(848 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Hundreds of People! If 3 Dozen show up I would be extremely surprised. Lets see, Susie B. and all her friends from the Unitarian Chapel and then, maybe, a few idle "curiosity seekers"- correct that- 50 to 60.

Youngstown is situated in the middle of a Metropolitan Area of how many? Two to three hundred thousand and, so, even if "hundreds of people" did show up- it wouldn't amount to anything. It's all "smoke and mirrors" with nothing behind it.

2kk80586(227 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

kurt-You try to add a third "K" to my nick, call me a "racist" and say that I injected race??? Sounds like third grade logic.
Look...when I said "I read your posts" and you qualified as a lib, I meant your posts on THAT article. I did not read your post history. But it IS the libs who call everyone "racist" if you disagree with them. So you can see why I might think you are a lib when one of the first things you do is try to add another k to my nick. Maybe if you had followed the facts of the case and the trial you could have commented intelligently on it. If you can point to ONE "racist" thing I have said (in any of my posts) I will change my nick to "kurtissmarterthanathirdgrader". If not, you change your nick to "kkisnotthesameaskkk".

3kurtw(848 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Look, I'm sorry- the KK thing was dumb- a cheap shot- I just couldn't resist it, though. Of course, you were pretty mean to me when you called me a liberal- that's almost as bad in my book (in fact the two are connected through the Democratic(sic) Party.

I read your posts again, more carefully, and I don't think your a racist (which is why, again, I regret the KK crack). What bothered me is your calling Martin a "thug" (when there's no evidence to support that) and your unquestioning defense of Z.

I do operate from a Conservative Perspective (I think if you read all my posts- that would become apparent). I just commented on the Z. case again- "Zimmerman Juror: He got away with Murder"- in which I said that for people who support "Gun Rights" (as I do)- someone like Z is "Their Worst Enemy".

P.S. I do neighborhood watch, too, in the Austintown Area- but I do it with a Cell Phone- I leave my gun at home. I leave Policing to the Professionals which, I'm betting, George Z. wishes he had done.

4kk80586(227 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

I accept that and sorry I called you a liberal. If you take your second paragraph and change Z to Martin(tm) and Martin(tm) to Z and "thug" to "murderer", that would be my statement.
The reason I call Trayvon(tm) a "thug" is because ALL the evidence in the trial (as well as real evidence that the judge excluded) showed that was the lifestyle he was pursuing and there was ZERO evidence showing he had any right to brutally assault Z (some try to say Z might have started the physical stuff but there is NO evidence of that ). Please don't take offense, but I wonder if you draw your conclusions more on emotion than on evidence (admitted AND excluded). When you talked about Trayvon(TM) seeing the guy with the "slicked back hair" you do know that at the time of the incident that Z had no hair, right? I am a news junkie (especially news of national attention) and have followed this from day one when it came on as a news alert about a shooting in Florida of an unarmed teen. I kept an open mind and went back and forth but the more I saw how the media (intentionally) changed facts of the case and how the race-profiteers (jesse,al,barrack) spun the story and the more that actual facts came to light and after the trial I can come to no conclusion but this was a case of self-defense no matter how bad of a security guard Z was.
My only defense of Z is that he did not commit murder (a legal term) and acted in self-defense. In the same circumstances, when I see a new face in my area and especially at night (white, black or green) I will keep an eye on them depending on their demeanor. If they look in my direction I will give them a quick friendly wave or a "howdy" so if they are up to good, will not be offended and if they are up to no-good will know that there are eyes on them in the area. If they acted suspicious enough that I felt the need to follow them it would be covertly. Like the night 3 (looked like) teens ducked behind my neighbors fence (they have been broken into before). A minute later they popped back out and I coughed so they would know I was there. They went back the direction they came from. Were they up to no-good? or just taking a leak? When they got around the corner I went to the neighbor and told them and they said they had a report (call) from our neighborhood watch on them. The point is, that Z is a bad security guard and probably acted stupidly. If you could put people in jail for doing (or saying) stupid things then you and I might possibly be cellmates.
Would Trayvon(tm) have kept beating Z's head into the sidewalk until he was dead? I don't know... no way to prove that one way or the other. But I do understand that in that same position I would be in fear of my life as you never know which thump will knock you out.
I think I've rambled on long enough so again, I accept your apology and apologize to you for calling you a really nasty name. Have a good one.

5kurtw(848 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Neighborhood Watch is a good thing- helps the Police in their job of keeping an area safe. I carry a Cell Phone and have Austintown Police non-emergency line and call them whenever I see anything that I feel they should know (their response time is excellent).

I do own a gun (I'm a strong 2nd Amendment supporter) but have never gotten a Concealed Carry Permit- thought about it, but there's too much responsibility in that- I have a gun at home- a Shotgun- for personal protection and that's about it.

I think it's important to make a distinction between having a weapon for personal protection- if one is attacked- and having a weapon for police work. I'm not trained for police work- and neither was George Zimmerman.