NYC RUN FOR MAYOR Weiner: I’m not quitting race

Published: Wed, July 24, 2013 @ 12:00 a.m.

Associated Press

NEW YORK

Anthony Weiner found himself caught in another sexting scandal Tuesday like the one that destroyed his congressional career, but stood side-by-side with his wife to say he won’t drop out of the race for mayor of New York.

“This is entirely behind me,” Weiner said at an evening news conference, hours after the gossip website The Dirty posted X-rated text messages and a crotch shot that it said the former congressman exchanged with a woman after he left office.

Weiner admitted sending a woman sexually explicit photos and messages and acknowledged the activity took place as recently as last summer, more than a year after he resigned from the House in disgrace for the same sort of behavior with at least a half-dozen women.

But with his wife, Huma Abedin, smiling shyly an arm’s length away from him, he said: “I want to bring my vision to the people of the city of New York. I hope they are willing to still continue to give me a second chance.”

Weiner then turned the microphone over to his wife, who did not appear with him at the June 2011 news conference when he stepped down from Congress over a scandal that began with a Twitter photo of his bulging underpants.

This time, Abedin reaffirmed her support for her husband and said the sexting matter is “between us.”

“I love him, I have forgiven him, I believe in him, and as we have said from the beginning, we are moving forward,” said Abedin, who is a longtime adviser to former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Abedin said her husband had made some “horrible mistakes both before he resigned from Congress and after.”

Abedin insisted that the two of them discussed “all of this” before he jumped into the mayor’s race in May.

The latest disclosures could severely test voters’ willingness to forgive Weiner, who has said he spent his two years in political exile since the scandal trying to make things right with his wife and earn redemption.

The New York Times and three of his rivals for mayor immediately called on him to drop out of the race.

The 48-year-old Democrat has been near the top of most polls since his late entry into the campaign.

Comments

1redeye1(4561 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

So is his vision for NYC , It will be legal for everyone to sexting everyone they want without reproach!

2kurtw(876 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

If the NYC voters plunge for Weiner I hope it won't bother them to have as their Mayor a man who is a National Laughing Stock. I, for one, hope he does get to be Mayor- Politics is dead-serious and some of it is pretty grim- It'll be great having somebody in there supplying Comic Relief!

3kurtw(876 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Weiner is the only guy in politics with a name that, no matter how you pronounce it, makes you want to burst out laughing! I mean it's either "Wiener"- like Hot Dog or the equivalent of a hot dog that men use to make babies and which Weiner selfed and E-mailed to his on-line Bimbos- or, it's "Whiner", which he did, copiously, when he was caught doing the former- Either way, not exactly the kind of name that conjures up images of political grandeur in the mold of JFK, FDR, or Truman.

If Weiner-wiener, whatever, had been smart he would have changed his name years ago to- "Winner". That might have helped him- and it's not the kind of name you can joke about.

4kurtw(876 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Weiner said, in one of his press conferences, that he has a "vision for the people of New York City that he wants to share with them in a very big, public way".

How's he going to do that? I thought there were laws in NYC which prohibited billboard displays of naked male Genitalia! (the Mayors!)

(Oh God, I hope they elect him! And I'm not alone in this- I'm sure the gag writers at Saturday Night Live as well as Letterman and Leno are salivating at the prospect of having Anthony Weiner as NYC Mayor. Oh, God. Please let him win!)

5kurtw(876 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

I just read that Weiner is dropping out- I am sorry to hear that. I looked forward to all the Weiner-wiener jokes we would have been regaled with during his term of office.

You know, maybe what he did wasn't really so bad- kept him off the streets, didn't it. I could think of behavior a lot worse than Weiner sitting at home "skyping" his wiener and sharing said article with the world. By all accounts, he has a pretty impressive one- Mayoral Timber- if not Presidential.

Can you picture the following AP story carried by the Vindy: " President Anthony Weiner convened his first Cabinet Meeting Today. The topic of discussion was the Planned Culling of Giant Redwoods in the Yosemite Rift recommended by the Department of the Interior. President-elect Weiner strongly opposed the move saying: "I'm against it. Anything that Big, Tall and upright should not be attacked by a Chainsaw- I can feel the pain myself as if I was being cast..., er, cut. No, let stand them stand, Proud and Erect for ever and ever." The meeting closed with President Weiner singing: "America the Beautiful" in a rich, baritone voice- as he fought back tears.