Man turns himself in for triple stabbing

Police: In 3 shooting cases, victims aren’t cooperating

By Joe Gorman


A man who was wanted in connection with a triple stabbing Saturday surrendered to police Sunday evening.

Detectives say, however, they are having no such luck in three separate shootings over a weekend of mayhem that saw six people injured in four separate incidents.

Jorge Rivera, 32, was arraigned in municipal court Monday on three counts of felonious assault. Detective Sgt. Darryl Martin said Rivera turned himself in with his stepmother for a stabbing about 10 p.m. Saturday at a Kendis Circle apartment.

Three women, Carmen Alicia, 54, and Sophia Alicia, 28, both of Coitsville Road in Campbell, and Cynthia Torres, 34, of Kendis Circle, were treated at St. Elizabeth Health Center. They told police they were arguing with Rivera to leave the apartment when he pulled a knife, stabbed the three of them and ran away. At his arraignment, Rivera told Magistrate Anthony Sertick he understood little English. He also was ordered to have no contact with the victims. He is in the Mahoning County jail in lieu of $30,000 bond. There is no record of him having any prior offense, according to court records.

Lt. Doug Bobovnyik of the detective bureau said of the three separate shootings this weekend, none of the victims are cooperating with police.

About 7:50 p.m. at Dogwood Lane and Buckeye Court on the East Side, Adam Perkins of Girard was found shot in the middle of the street by officers who were called for a report of gunfire.

Perkins told the police he did not know who shot him or who would want to shoot him. But witnesses told police they saw a car drive up to him, a man pulled a gun and Perkins was heard to say, “If you’re going to shoot me, shoot me.” He was then shot. He was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center for treatment. Police found three shell casings on the pavement, reports said.

Earlier Sunday, about 3:58 a.m., Terrence Howell Jr., 23, of Kendis Circle, was taken to St. Elizabeth Health Center for a gunshot wound to the chest. Police were called to the 600 block of Kendis Circle for a report of gunfire and were told the victim was at the hospital.

The person who drove Howell to the hospital told police he was in a parking lot when Howell walked up to him, said he was shot and asked for a ride to the hospital. He was in critical condition, police said.

About 8:10 p.m. Saturday, Mark A. Porter, 39, of Trumbull Court in Liberty, walked into the police station with a gunshot wound to the back and told police he was shot by an unidentified man in a car while walking on the Market Street bridge.

However, Bobovnyik said Monday that there is no evidence that Porter was shot there, and investigators have no idea where he was shot.

Porter also is not cooperating, Bobovnyik said.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.