Suspected Campbell shooter under guard
The man accused of opening fire in a Seventh Street home Saturday afternoon, injuring four family members and then himself, is under guard at St. Elizabeth Health Center.
Police haven’t released the name of the suspect or of those he’s accused of shooting. A news release with the identities and more information is expected to be made public early this morning, police said. Mahoning County property tax records show that the home is owned by Campbell Commons II Limited Partnership.
As of Sunday evening, the other four victims were still alive at the hospital, according to police.
Police were called about 1 p.m. Saturday to the home, finding four people inside who had been shot. The suspected gunman had fled through backyards and suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest, police said.
One officer chased down the suspect while another tended to the wounded inside the home until an ambulance arrived.
Three women of varying ages had each suffered a single gunshot wound to the torso, causing serious injuries, police said. The fourth victim, a young male, had been shot in the arm.
Police also used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames of two mattresses and box springs that were burning on the second floor of the home until firefighters arrived.
Police believe the suspect started the fire in his bedroom, then shot the four victims — two on the second floor, two on the first — then turned the gun on himself.
According to police, a letter found in the suspect’s bedroom suggests that the gunman may have acted in response to a family dispute.
Several young children were in the home but were not injured, a neighbor told The Vindicator on Saturday.