UPDATED | Weathersfield police suspect no foul play in girl’s death

Published: Wed, July 10, 2013 @ 9:33 a.m.

Weathersfield police suspect no foul play in girl’s death

WEATHERSFIELD

The Weathersfield Police Department has confirmed that 2-year-old Marina N. Baugher died Tuesday afternoon in St. Joseph Health Center after her mother found her unresponsive in a swimming pool on Emerson Avenue.

Capt. Mike Naples Jr., said Baugher and her mother, Maria Reynolds, of Morningside Drive in Hubbard, had gone to 1359 Emerson, the child’s grandparents’ house, to pick something up.

Nobody else was home at the time, and the mother started looking for the child, didn’t see her anywhere and found her in the swimming pool without a pulse.

Reynolds administered CPR as well as two neighbors who came over to help. Then officers with the Weathersfield Police Department and ambulance personnel from Lane’s Ambulance took over the child’s care, Naples said.

A neighbor made the 911 call regarding the drowning at 12:52 p.m.

“There doesn’t appear to be any foul play, but we still have to look into a few things,” Naples said.

Reynolds posted the following comment on her Facebook page Tuesday evening: “My heart is empty. I don’t know how to feel right now. Mommy loves you Marina Nicole. You’re in a better place and mommy is so sorry. I’m so lucky to have you as my little angel now. We all have to stay strong, that’s what peanut would want Rest in peace Marina Nicole Baugher. You will never be forgotten baby girl. Mommy loves you!!!!!!”

Emerson Avenue is just south of Deforest Road and near North Road in the Heaton-Chute neighborhood.

Comments

1busyman(239 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Another single mother with no help. How come we have not heard of a father in this picture. It is shame this happen to someone so young. This is why some communties have regulations for fences on all pools, in ground and above. This sounds like a bad situation that good have been prevented. God keep her safe now.

2sinder(1 comment)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

The father isn't to be blamed, he is a good person. I feel especially sorry for him because the mother wasn't even letting him see his daughter. I hate how everyone instantly wants to pin it on the dad.

3mtimmer(2 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

It could have been prevented. What mother would not have her 2 yr old child by her side especially when no one else was around to watch her and there was a swimming pool?

4Jillpyo(1 comment)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

I am shocked by the the mother'sreaction to her baby's tragic death. Marina's mother Maria reynolds has not missed a beat with her Facebook posts, updates & comments... Then the same day as Marina's funeral she attends a fair with her friends...

5Trumbletime(1 comment)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Agree with ^^^!!!! My best friend was at the after gathering thing for Marina and she said it seemed like a birthday party after the funeral, not the time to mourn a child! The mom was apparently running around with friends and drinking and acting like nothing had happened. I'm sure people will say that everyone grieves differently, but the way she acted seemed to be a slap in the face to that poor little girl... That day wasn't about her and keeping her mind off of it and staying busy, it was a day to honor and remember Marina. And everyone else there seemed to be more upset than she was. And According to her Facebook, she did go to a fair after the funeral. From someone who was not at the funeral, and doesn't know how she acted there, I hope she took the time to act appropriately there. And the question still remains, how long was that poor baby in the water and was it just an unpreventable accident? Or was it preventable and just negligence? It may seem like an insensitive question, but Marina deserves answers. Poor thing. God bless her. Prayers for the family, and prayers that the mother starts to fully realize what has happened.

6Silky0ne(1 comment)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

I want to say, for the record, that Marina's mother - Maria Reynolds, who received all sorts of crap from people because she was posting on Facebook and went to the fair - was the best momma to that little girl. And she is grieving for her baby girl - who was her life! I'm ashamed that people have to find bad, even when it's not there. No one knows what that strong lady is going through. More than i could and i'm a heck of a lot older than she is. If my baby girl's best friend's mom asked me to go to the fair with her to help take my mind off my baby's death, i might say yes. I don't know, because i still have all three of my babies. Thank God. How dare anyone judge someone who is already going through so much. I am now stepping down from my soapbox. Have a great day.

7camry(1 comment)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

I too was extremely shocked at the mother's behavior and activities and facebook posts that followed after about 2 hours after her daughter's death...quite unbelievable! I hope that the investigation is still open regarding the sad and tragic drowning of this little girl...