facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Struthers, Campbell team up for brownfields lighting project



Published: Wed, January 30, 2013 @ 12:05 a.m.

By jeanne starmack

starmack@vindy.com

struthers

Struthers and Campbell teamed up to win a grant for a lighting project in the old industrial properties along the Mahoning River.

The project will be part of ongoing efforts to clean up and rehabilitate the old brownfields area to attract new businesses, the cities’ mayors said.

Eighteen streetlights will be installed along Bob Cene Way in Struthers, across the new lower connector bridge that joins the cities in the brownfields and along Casey Drive in Campbell.

Campbell Mayor Bill VanSuch said Campbell was the lead agent in securing the $220,000 state transportation enhancement grant.

The grant will pay for 80 percent of the project, the mayors said, with each city paying half of the remaining 20 percent.

Other recent projects in the brownfields include the lower connector bridge, which was finished in November 2010 to allow truck traffic easier access through the brownfields to Interstate 680.

Campbell also received a $1.9 million Clean Ohio grant has for cleanup and restoration at 40 acres of former Youngstown Sheet and Tube property.

The property is owned by Sherman International, which wants to build a cold-rolling steel mill there.

Struthers Mayor Terry Stocker said the lights will be “nothing fancy.”

“Just a basic light up for better visibility,” he said. “Just to make it safer for the public and emergency vehicles.”

VanSuch said the cities will solicit bids soon for the project.


Comments

1nipsy(131 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Our schools are suffering and we spend State Grant funds on Lighting for industrial sites? I have an idea, let's call it a "TRANSPORTATION ENHANCEMENT GRANT" ? Really? What transportation will be enhanced by putting lights in this area?

Suggest removal:

2L0L(640 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

Lets educate nipsy.
There are grants earmarked for certain projects. Doesn't matter if the school needs money or the blind need new white cains. If there is a grant for money to be distributed to industrial cites then thta is the only place the money can be used for.

Now lets be a little more open minded and expand our thinking, I hope you can follow me nipsy.

If the industrial cite is built up, attracts businesses, which creates new jobs, which in turn creates tax revenue for the city then guess what....... the school in that community will benefit from the tax revenue. See how that works?

Suggest removal:


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes | Pittsburgh International Airport