UPDATE: Struthers police charge mother with child endangering, her son died Saturday

Originally Published: 06:27 p.m., January 30, 2013 and  Updated 01:22 p.m., January 30, 2013

STRUTHERS — City police have charged the mother of the 14-year-old boy, who was fatally injured here Jan. 21, with child endangering, a second-degree felony.

Arrested on the charge this afternoon in the death of Theodore A. Foltz was Shain P. Widdersheim, 32, of 28 Creed St., said Detective Jeffrey J. Lewis.

“We don’t believe the injury was at her hand, however she was involved in it, but we can’t speculate on too many of the details as it is still ongoing,” the detective said of the investigation.

Widdersheim’s former boyfriend, Zaryl G. Bush, 43 of 533 Creed St., was arraigned this morning in Struthers Municipal Court on murder and rape charges in the boy’s death. Bond for him was set at $1 million.

The Mahoning County Coroner's office said the boy died of head trauma. He died of his injuries Saturday in St. Elizabeth Health Center.

City Prosecutor Dominic Leone made the request for Bush's high bond to visiting Judge James Dunn.

Judge Dunn said he would appoint a lawyer to represent Bush, who said he currently has no income and cannot afford to hire a lawyer.

Leone called for the high bond because he said Bush was a flight risk and because the seriousness of the charges warrant it.

Bush is in Mahoning County jail. Atty. Lou DeFabio represented Bush at the arraignment.

For more on this story, read Thursday’s Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1DwightK(1256 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

This guy is trash

2excel(281 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, moral standards do matter!

3busyman(239 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

They should charge every mother who lets a man into her life because of her low self esteem that thinks a screwed up low life will make her life complete and put her child in harms way. Every mother with children should be put on notice by this. When you meet a partner and you endanger your children to keep a partner around you should be charged with the same crime and the rest of your children turned over to family members. Children are gods gifts not a scarifice for you achieve something by offering them up as a prize.

4jgm820(115 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Busyman... I can't add anything further to that. Bravo!

5DwightK(1256 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Busyman is correct.

6L0L(660 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

You're right gdog4766! We should have the Third Reich back in action and just go out there and lock anyone and everyone up that gets a complaint filed against them for wrongdoing. So when one of your neighbors calls the police about you and claims that you're a diddler we'll just send the gostopo to your house and lock you up!

If such complaints were made I'm sure Struthers followed up on them to the best of their abilities, and more importantly, to the extent that the law allows. You know, we live in a country where people are innocent until proven guilty so if there is no probable cause that there was wrongdoing in that household then the police wouldn't be able to do anything.

7excel(281 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

The result of sexual perversion far too many times ends in tragedy. Zaryl G. Bush has no redeaming value to society. His reward for the rape and killing of this young boy should be the death penalty.

8rickking123(292 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

For those who think that nothing was done previously.

Officers said all three children were pulled out of school by Widdersheim in October. Investigators said several reports of child abuse during the past three years against Foltz were reported by school teachers and neighbors to police and Children Services, but no investigation was able to reveal any substantial evidence, police said.

9USMC0331(150 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

I usually agree with you gdog. I know your intelligence and i find it hard to believe that you actually think all the cops did was drive by and say nothing was going on. CSB drops the ball quite a bit. Not saying everyone who works there is terrible, but their main job is to investigate things like this. If there is no initial signs that a police officer can see than a report is done and forwarded to CSB. Especially if the complaint is made by a neighbor. I know that police departments take these crimes very seriously and Struther's PD has very professional men and women working for them.

10Ianacek(909 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

We have open trials , exchange of evidence & presumption of innocence not just to protect the accuse , but to protect the criminal justice system itself .

If police officers could just arrest someone & take them straight to jail ( save maybe for a brief online poll to ascertain the sentence ) , we would end up with mostly innocent people going to jail.

Hitler exempted the Gestapo from judicial oversight in 1936 . It seemed a great idea at the time. Within a few years , the Gestapo was full of psychopaths "railroading" Jews to death camps .

11papa1(662 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

it's a damn shame the nightmares some kids have to live through before God saves them. the u.s. is way to linient on crime. this miscreant is a cancer on society. hopefully he'll get the death penalty, the only problem is, millions of people will die before he does. in a perfect world when someone is convicted of such a heinous crime, without a shadow of a doubt, they should be executed within 72 hours. maybe it's time to bring back public hangings. if anyone deserves it, he does.

12Mimi1029(3 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Lol~how can you spew your ignorance when an innocent child was DEFILED and MURDERED at the hands of a vile, despicable monster and his equally reprehensible "mother"??? Do the world a favor....don't speak

13Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

papa

"in a perfect world when someone is convicted of such a heinous crime, without a shadow of a doubt, they should be executed within 72 hours. maybe it's time to bring back public hangings. if anyone deserves it, he does."

Been saying this for a LONG time. But you have the bleeding hearts that want to protect/care for the animals instead of giving them the death penalty and having it carried out. (which takes way to long in our present system). They feel bad for the cowards.

14DAL(90 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

We are hearing far too often about mom's knowing of the abuse of their children at the hands of the boyfriends,etc. We as mother's are to protect our children from harm!! This mother knew of the abuse her child was suffering and she did absolutely nothing to stop it from happening!! May also the blood of her son lie on her hands too!!

15DontGetIt67(8 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

This is truly a sad story and my heart goes out to anyone who cared about this child, and I pray for the siblings and anything they may have endured and/or witnessed. But I truly get upset when people look to blame any government agency when in reality the blame rests solely on the persons who did it. It's easy to write outraged posts when you are truly uneducated on the topic. I had over 10 years of experience in the field of child welfare and left that field for no reason other than I could no longer deal with the feeling of being "damned if I do, damned if I don't" on a daily basis. Were police officials and/or children services notified of concerns prior to this, from what I am reading on the topic, YES. However, what I learned first hand in my past work experience is the following: Ohio Revised Code defines the statutes of abuse and neglect, I think under 2151. Is it illegal for a child to be physically disciplined? No. Is it illegal for during the course of physical discipline for marks to be left on a child? No! Are there a lot of grey areas? Yes! Are people good at putting up a front when figures of authority come around? Yes! Do children disclose abuse when interviewed? Most often, No! Do people who report abuse suddenly clam up out of fear when told they will need to be subpoenaed to court to tell what they saw? Yes!! Can CSB remove a child on suspicions? No! Children can only be removed from their home with a court filing or Juvenile Rule 6 by the police. The thing that sucks about all this is those things require EVIDENCE to be presented in Court! If a worker and or police go to the house, and there is no clear cut evidence of abuse, guess what?? Not much anyone can legally do until unfortunately, something happens. Much of why I left the field, couldn't deal with it emotionally. Cases in Juvenile Court are tried like criminals trying to get out of murder cases, and if a csb worker or police doesn't have any clear cut evidence to present, guess what? You have no case! It's honestly heart wrenching, even when you know something is up, there isn't alot you can do. And there is no magical foster care land where kids are cured of all they have been through. And no matter how horrible the child's situation may have been, there is a strong psychological bond with their parents that causes a whole new set of problems once they are removed and put in another home. Bottom line is, maybe when they create crystal balls to predict the future, then you came blame people for children being mistreated. Until then, please keep the blame where it belongs, please and thanks! And if you don't like how the system works, I suggest you write your government representatives and lawmakers to reform that statutes pertaining to abuse and neglect of children as opposed to attacking the police officers and children services representatives who are doing their best to work within the laws the great state of ohio has laid out for all of us!

16Tralyma(1 comment)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Dont Get It...I understand your position and I did write letters to the government and about the laws and I am very thankful that my family situation didnt turn out like this one. In my case the mothers right were finally terminated after 16 YEARS!!! 1st report went to CSB when that child was 6 months old 15 1/2 years of report after report after report. I was told my one of the caseworkers that as long as the children were dress fed and off to school there was nothing they could do. Exact words from her! When I spoke to their local police department I found that they were at the house numerous times cause the school reported absenses. I was also told by the same caseworker it was ok that the mother was staying with a wanted felon cause she met him and she felt it was good to have a male figure in the kids lfe. Yes exact word from her. Same caseworker told me if the mother wanted to visit her child at my house and she brought a convicted killer to my house I had to welcome them. I was discussing with my husband this morning many years ago we thought about suing CSB for many faults in our case but we chose not to do it cause 1 we were done with them and 2 we didnt want to take any money from them that could be used for the kids. We realize this morning we probably didnt do any kids any favors for not bringing the case to the public attention. Yes we did meet 2 case workers who we felt were excellent but for the most part we were lied to and made to feel we were the bad ones. Final lie to us was when asked has the child ever spent time in a mental ward...answer was no. When we had the child hospitalized it came to our attention he was there 2 other times and both time CSB was aware of it. Ihope this family retains an attorney and really looks into the claims and how may times and what was done. My heart is breaking for this family

17DontGetIt67(8 comments)posted 1 year, 7 months ago

Tralyma, I'm sorry you had to go throught so much. I see your side and CSB side as a former worker in Summit County. The thing is, CSB cannot place moral judgements on felons. They would discourage having any felons around if it had anything to do with a sexual crime, child endangering, etc. I feel like maybe you had a less than stellar caseworker. In my 10 years of experience in Akron, and I'm sure that goes across the board most workers will go above and beyond to help famlies. I'm thinking maybe you had the bad apple that spoiled that bunch because that happens as well. What people don't understand is that the workers aren't necessarily incompetant, but they all have like 15-20 families to deal with at a time and can't be all seeing and all knowing. They act like they are supposed to have some sort of skills that predicit the future. Let me tell you why I left that field. I could go to a house. Everyone puts up a front all happy and stuff. Don't see any marks, they know exactly what to say, etc. That means even if you suspect something might not be right you have no legal basis until unfortunately, something happens. That's why I left. Couldn't deal :( But 90 percent of those workers give their heart and soul to helping people!!