Soldier has double-arm transplant
On Facebook, he describes himself as a “wounded warrior ... very wounded.”
Brendan Marrocco was the first soldier to survive losing all four limbs in the Iraq War, and doctors revealed Monday that he’s received a double-arm transplant.
Those new arms “already move a little,” he tweeted a month after the operation.
Marrocco, a 26-year-old New Yorker, was injured by a roadside bomb in 2009. He had the transplant Dec. 18 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, his father said Monday.
Alex Marrocco said his son does not want to talk with reporters until a news conference today at the hospital, but the younger Marrocco has repeatedly mentioned the transplant on Twitter and posted photos.
Responding to a tweet from NASCAR driver Brad Keselowski, he wrote: “Dude, I can’t tell you how exciting this is for me. I feel like I finally get to start over.”
The infantryman also received bone marrow from the same dead donor who supplied his new arms. That novel approach is aimed at helping his body accept the new limbs with minimal medication to prevent rejection.
The military sponsors operations such as these to help wounded troops. About 300 have lost arms or hands in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Unlike a life-saving heart or liver transplant, limb transplants are aimed at improving quality of life, not extending it.
Quality of life is a key concern for people missing arms and hands — prosthetics for those limbs are not as advanced as those for feet and legs.
“He was the first quad amputee to survive,” and there have been four others since then, Alex Marrocco said.
The 13-hour operation was led by Dr. W.P. Andrew Lee, plastic surgery chief at Johns Hopkins. It was the seventh double-hand or double-arm transplant done in the United States.