SANTA MARIA, Brazil
The nightclub Kiss was hot, steamy from the press of beer-fueled bodies dancing close. The Brazilian country band on stage was whipping the crowd into a frenzy, lighting flares that spewed sparks into the air.
It was another Saturday night in Santa Maria, a university town of about 260,000 on Brazil’s southernmost tip.
Then, in the pre-dawn hours of Sunday, it turned into a scene of indescribable horror as sparks lit a fire in the soundproofing material above the stage, churning out black, toxic smoke as flames raced through the former beer warehouse, killing 231 people.
“I was right there, so even though I was far from the door, at least I realized something was wrong,” said Rodrigo Rizzi, a first-year nursing student who was next to the stage when the fire broke out and watched the tragedy unfold.
A security guard said afterward that the club was at its estimated maximum capacity of between 1,000 and 2,000 people.
There was no fire alarm, no sprinklers, no fire escape. In violation of state safety codes, fire extinguishers were not spaced every 1,500 square feet, and there was only one exit. As the city buried its young Monday, questions were raised about whether Brazil is up to the task of ensuring the safety in venues for the World Cup next year, and the Olympics in 2016. Four people were arrested for questioning, including two band members and the nightclub’s co-owner.
Rizzi said the first sign of a problem was insulation dripping above the stage.
The flames at that point were barely noticeable, just tiny tongues lapping at the flammable material. The band’s singer, Marcelo dos Santos, tried to put out the embers by squirting water from a bottle.
The show kept going. Then, as the ceiling continued to ooze hot molten foam, dos Santos grabbed the drummer’s water bottle and aimed it at the fire. A security guard handed the band leader a fire extinguisher. He aimed, but nothing came out; the extinguisher didn’t work.
At that point, Rizzi said, the singer motioned to the band to get out. Rizzi calmly made his way to the door — the club’s only exit — still thinking it was a small fire that would quickly be controlled.
Then, the place became an inferno.