Boardman neighbors praised as lifesavers

Published: Sun, January 27, 2013 @ 12:09 a.m.

By Ashley Luthern

aluthern@vindy.com

BOARDMAN

It was like any other Monday on Ewing Road.

Scott Hadley arrived home from his Canton commute shortly after 7 p.m. Dec. 17. He ate dinner with his wife, Darla, and their children, Caitlyn, Mark and Nathan.

Scott felt nauseated and tired, so he sat in the living room, guessing the feeling had been caused by the 15 miles he’d run the day before. He and Darla switched on the TV to the singing competition “The Voice.”

Across the street, Jeff and Wendy Thomas were watching old family movies with their sons, Cory, Kyle, Ethan and Andrew. Wendy glanced down from the screen as she untangled Christmas lights.

And that’s when the normalcy ended.

“I called for Darla, and that’s the last thing I remember,” Scott said.

Darla heard her husband say “Honey.”

“I turned around, and he was unresponsive. I told Caitlyn to get Wendy and Jeff. They came less than two minutes later,” Darla said.

Scott was having a heart attack. Wendy and Jeff, his neighbors of nine years, own Thomas Training Consultants, specializing in health care and child-care certification classes including CPR.

Caitlyn, 14, brought Wendy and Jeff to her dad, while her brother Mark, 17, called 911.

“Caitlyn was very calm and helped lower him to the floor,” Wendy said.

The Thomases began two-person CPR and their 18-year-old son, Cory, monitored their compression depth.

“When it’s somebody you know, it’s not the same. Fortunately, I demonstrate it several times a month. I still couldn’t imagine doing it on a family member. It was just unreal,” Wendy said.

The fire department received the emergency call at 8:50 p.m. and arrived five minutes later, though Jeff described it feeling “like an eternity.”

Capt. Brian Barber and firefighters Jon Lewis, Jeff Gallimore and Scott Hanlin began treating Scott Hadley with an automated external defibrillator (AED), which called for them to shock Scott.

“They were able to get his heart back into rhythm,” Darla said.

Scott was then taken to St. Elizabeth Heath Center by ambulance. Family, friends, neighbors, teachers and coaches anxiously waited at the hospital.

“It was amazing to be part of that large group in the waiting room waiting to hear any news,” Wendy said.

Scott was treated, and several days later traveled to the Cleveland Clinic for a defibrillator, but he was home in time for Christmas. “We’re so thankful. I’ve had no side effects at all,” Scott said.

Darla, who already was CPR-certified and works in physical therapy for ValleyCare Health Systems, and her family recently took CPR courses together. General CPR training consists of a three- to four-hour course.

“I had CPR training, but that went out the window when it was my husband,” Darla said. “If we come up against it again, we can follow through ourselves.”

“They can all save me now,” Wendy added.

Township trustees issued proclamations Jan. 14 recognizing the firefighters, and Wendy and Jeff, who said they just did what their neighbors would have done for them.

“We have a common bond in the neighborhood. Anybody would do whatever they can for anyone else,” Wendy said.

But Darla and Scott, who celebrated their 20th wedding anniversary last year, feel there was more at work during that day.

“Without them, he would not have made it. It’s a miracle,” Darla said. “...I felt God’s hand all over this. The timing was impeccable. You realize how precious life is and treasure every moment with loved ones.”

Scott echoed that, noting that only about an hour before the heart attack he was driving.

“I feel like God probably has something else in store for me,” he said.

Comments

1misterlee(118 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

This is a great story, but god could have just not let the guy have a heart attack if he cared. These people saved this man, not god.

2Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

lee

Feel bad for you come Judgement day.

3misterlee(118 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

And I feel bad for you wasting your time worshipping a god who "loves us" yet created every horrifying disease and allows thousands to die slow painful torturous deaths everyday. Why does god allow so much suffering if he truly cares for us? He's all powerful right? He should be able to stop the pain.

4Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

lee

""Why does god allow so much suffering if he truly cares for us? ""

No one really knows that. And I'm not wasting my time, because I believe in God and all he does. I rather have something to believe in this life then nothing at all. All in all it's a winning situation. God is good just remember that.

5misterlee(118 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

I believe that human kind is on its own and we all rely on eachother. I believe life is an amazing thing and I don't claim to know why or how it exists but it does. Now if god allows all this suffering which by our moral standards is horrible, why worship him? He has a lack of morals by our standards so would you really want to spend eternity with him? If you feel like you need a sky daddy looking out for you that's fine, but don't act like you're better than people who are strong enough to go through this life doing good, not out of fear of damnation, but because we genuinely care about our fellow man. This man's neighbors did an amazing thing, I think they deserve the credit, not some invisible creature that seems pretty ambivalent about human suffering on the whole.

6Lifes2Short(3875 comments)posted 1 year, 5 months ago

lee

""If you feel like you need a sky daddy looking out for you that's fine, but don't act like you're better than people who are strong enough to go through this life doing good, not out of fear of damnation, but because we genuinely care about our fellow man."""

Who says there better then other people?? It's your loss if you have no faith.

""He has a lack of morals by our standards so would you really want to spend eternity with him? ""

Yep!

"This man's neighbors did an amazing thing, I think they deserve the credit, not some invisible creature that seems pretty ambivalent about human suffering on the whole."

And I'm sure you said a little prayer in your life time.

It's called believing and faith and there is nothing wrong about it. If you don't believe then that is your choice.