Picking up your butts isn’t my job

Published: Fri, January 25, 2013 @ 12:00 a.m.

Picking up your butts isn’t my job

When was the last time you were outside in a public area and have not noticed a cigarette butt? Cigarette manufacturers started putting filters on cigarettes years ago. It might have helped the smokers, but did little for the environment. I climbed the post office steps the other day and couldn’t believe the number of cigarette butts on the steps and sidewalk. Next to the door on the wall was a container for discarded cigarette butts. It seemed no one had used it.

They say it takes about 12 years for a filter to decompose in the outside environment. Why can’t manufacturers develop a filter that will break down after it gets wet? I bet if you inspected a smoker’s ashtray in their car it would be empty. They would rather throw them out of the car window. It must be good for the car’s trade-in value. In the Army of the ’60s, if you tossed a butt on the ground, the sergeant would threaten to make you dig a hole and bury it. Butts had to be field stripped. If you come off any freeway, at the stop light on the side of the road will be a pile of cigarette butts — a monument in the making to mankind.

In life, as you progress you will realize that animals leave droppings. With the advancement of the tobacco industry in health issues, smokers now leave droppings as well. I came up with a saying a long time ago; “I do not like picking up other people’s bad habits.”

As a possible solution, we could put a “core tax” on cigarette filters. You could return 20 filters and buy smokes a little cheaper. Or another idea, develop an edible mint flavored filter. When finished, the smoker could chew and swallow the filter so their breath would smell pleasant.

In yesteryear, the Native American Indian had it right. They gathered, sat in a circle, and smoked and passed the peace pipe around and everyone was happy.

Paul R. Lawson, McDonald

Comments

1nipsy(130 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

I couldn't agree more with you Paul. This has driven me crazy for years. Smokers are some of the most ignorant people around and always have been.

2Freeatlast(1990 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe they should take all filters off cigarettes and let the inevitable happen sooner .

3JME(801 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe smokers shouldn't be inconsiderate pigs.

4cambridge(2918 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Paul...groups of people still pass the pipe around....and they are happy.

5gdog4766(1254 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Really? Are you for real? Your life is such that you fixate on butts laying on the ground with so much going on around you? Dude, Prozac, prefrontal lobotomy, shock treatment there a lot out there. And I mean for the vindy editors who printed this ridiculous letter.

6oldmillspice(160 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Paul. Hope you are doing well ! I dont get down that way much anymore , would like to see you sometime. *Jon*

7dawn421(264 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

i am a smoker and have to agree. i do not throw my butt out my window, that is why i have an ashtray in my car. if i am in public i smoke away from doors and do put it out on the ground but i have a snack size ziploc bag in my purse for the butts. sorry to the non smokers for the ignorance of some. but not all of us are "inconsiderate pigs" as JME has said.

8DwightK(1179 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

Smokers are inconsiderate and don't really care about what other people think.

9catdog777(3 comments)posted 1 year, 2 months ago

My wife asked me if I wrote the article in cigarettes. I have my opinion that smokers are less considerate in the way they toss their cigs out the windows . Try pulling up to a fast food drive through and have to smell smoke from discarded cigs .The highway dept should make an effort to pick them up especially at the rt 82 ramp into Howland.