Mobile home fire leaves Bazetta family homeless

Staff report


A family of four escaped from a fire in the laundry room of their mobile home at 29 Larry Lane in Lakeview Trailer Park at 6:43 p.m. Monday.

The fire apparently started in the dryer, and the family attempted to put it out, but was unable to, said Bazetta Fire Chief Dennis Lewis.

Neither the parents, Charles or Jennifer Welshans, nor the 12-year-old girl or 9-year-old boy was injured, but their home was declared a total loss of $25,000 plus contents of $12,500.

The family stayed with relatives Monday night, and the American Red Cross was also providing assistance.

The mobile-home park does not have water hydrants, so the fire department called for assistance from the Howland, Cortland, Mecca, Fowler, Youngstown Air Reserve Station and Champion fire departments to provide additional water if needed, Lewis said.

The family said they had working smoke detectors, but firefighters did not hear any when they arrived and don’t know yet for certain whether there were any, Lewis said.

The fire was contained to the laundry room, but there was smoke and heat damage throughout, he added.

More like this from

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.