Pavlik retires from boxing

Published: Sun, January 20, 2013 @ 12:10 a.m.

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

On Saturday, “The Ghost” said goodbye.

Citing health concerns and waning motivation, Kelly Pavlik announced his retirement from boxing after 42 fights.

“I did it for 12 1/2 years and I had a helluva run,” said the 30-year-old South Side native. “This [decision] has been coming for a little while.”

Pavlik (40-2, 34 KOs) is best known for his seventh-round knockout of Jermain Taylor in September 2007 to win the WBC and WBO middleweight titles in Atlantic City. He defeated Taylor again five months later in a non-title bout and made three successful title defenses before losing to Sergio Martinez by unanimous decision in April 2010.

Pavlik won four more fights, including three in 2012, but opted to retire when this month’s scheduled super middleweight title bout with Andre Ward was canceled due to Ward’s shoulder injury.

“He reached the highest level of the sport and it was really kind of incredible to watch,” said his friend and former training partner Billy Lyell, a Niles native who has fought several champions himself. “It’s a big world out there and to be the best of the best, I don’t think people from the area realize just how good he was.”

Pavlik boosted Youngstown’s reputation as a boxing hotbed, becoming the latest in a long line of champions that includes Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini, Harry Arroyo, Jeff Lampkin and Greg Richardson.

“He’ll be remembered as having an outstanding career and being an outstanding fighter,” said his promoter, Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, who once promoted Mancini. “I have fond memories of my time with Kelly.”

Pavlik’s career was damaged in recent years by injuries and two stints in rehab for alcohol abuse, but his personal struggles were offset by his professional popularity (his fights in Atlantic City drew thousands of Youngstown fans) and his success.

“I think Kelly could have went down as one of the greatest middleweight champions of all time,” said his longtime trainer, Jack Loew. “That’s how good he was.”

Comments

1bmanresident(597 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Will he move out of the Valley and take his pain in the rear entourage with him? I have a sneaky feeling we will see some pretty good headlines in the Vindy real soon as a result of all the new found time Kelly has on his hands.

2youngstownsteve(74 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Headlines will contain the following words: Booze, Drugs & Prison

3Dafine(14 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Good ole Y-town! Always nasty!

4fcb(318 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Good Luck Kelly!!! You did a lot for Youngstown. It's a shame people turn so quick. Stay healthy,strong,and kind to people and you will have a great retirement.

5Buckeyeplat(7 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Congratulations Kelly on a very wise decision.I am currently reading "The Good Son" and.It is great to see you get out early, like Boom Boom did, before you incur serious brain damage.You were a hell of a fighter and served this Valley well.Not many people become world champions.

Many who live in the Valley are proud of you as well as ex Y-Towners like myself.I wish you nothing but the best in your future and thanks for giving so much of yourself in the past.

6Cassie(88 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

I cannot believe the negative comments--Kelly has been a great fighter and very generous with his time in Youngstown. He has his demons, but has tried to deal with them. Can't we concentrate on the good? I hope he came out of this with enough money to make his life comfortable.

7ysuwin(57 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

The thing about Kelly that's always irked me about Pavlik is that he threw Youngstown under the bus any chance he got. He actually blamed Youngstown for his drinking problems. Then has the audacity to say, that he, Kelly Pavlik, is all the city of Youngstown has to live for. F** k him. Good riddance. I was actually looking forward to Andre Ward sending him into retirement. This is the smartest thing he's done in his entire life. He knew Andre Ward would have put him into the old peoples home.

8bmanresident(597 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Ysu win. My sentiments exactly!

9Crimson1012(61 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

I just want to say that... uh, that.. what were we talking about? I forgot already...

10Robert_Neville(116 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

I say goodluck to him who will take his place. From the sounds of it it will not be YSU.

Well maybe there will be a good Irish boxer left on the south side or it might be left to the stars.