Valley residents prepare to attend historic inauguration

Published: Sun, January 20, 2013 @ 12:01 a.m.

By DAVID SKOLNICK

skolnick@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Sarah Brown-Clark should be on a tropical vacation cruise now.

Instead, the Youngstown clerk of courts will be outdoors Monday with thousands of others in Washington, D.C., to observe history.

Brown-Clark, a member of Ohio’s Electoral College, will attend Democratic President Barack Obama’s second inauguration.

“I canceled my vacation plans,” she said. “You can go on vacation any time, but you can’t do this any time.”

Brown-Clark didn’t attend Obama’s first inauguration in 2009 — an event that attracted a record crowd of 1.8 million people. The crowd estimate for Monday’s swearing-in is expected to be less than half of that.

“I’m not a cattle-call person,” she said. “I don’t like huge crowds and waiting in line. I don’t like that, but I’ll do that for [Obama] and for history and to tell my grandkids that I was there.”

Others are less enthused.

State Rep. Robert F. Hagan of Youngstown, D-58th, and his wife, Michele Lepore Hagan, were at Obama’s first inauguration and are returning this year.

“I’m reluctant to go,” the representative said. “It was ridiculously cold [in 2009]. We had hand warmers and scarves and we were still freezing. We were 1,000 yards out the last time. We strained to see everything. We had binoculars.”

The temperature reached 28 degrees and windy in D.C. during Obama’s first inauguration. The forecast calls for higher temperatures, but it’s still winter in Washington.

Despite the weather and crowd, Hagan said the 2009 event “was very exciting even if you were a mile away. The historic element of going to the first inauguration of an African-American president is important and the last one is too. There’s a little less enthusiasm and excitement this year, but it’s still historic and glamorous and exciting. It’s what we worked our butts off to make happen. We like to see the fruits of our labor and work.”

Mahoning County Democratic Party Chairman David Betras was asked to go but is skipping it after the long campaign.

“To be honest with you, I’d rather go skiing,” said Betras, who is doing exactly that.

This is U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan’s third presidential inauguration. The first for Ryan of Niles, D-13th, was Republican George W. Bush’s 2005 inauguration.

“Bush’s inauguration was cool, but the memorable one was the first Obama” inauguration, he said. “The amount of people there is incredible. I’m Catholic, so I like the ritual, the formality of it.”

As a congressman, Ryan sits behind the president during the inauguration looking over the crowd, “seeing the hundreds of thousands of people there.”

It’s a rare day in Washington, Ryan said, because “everyone is nice to each other for a day.”

A group of 52 members of United Auto Workers Local 1714 at the Lordstown General Motors complex are chartering a bus late tonight and are spending Monday celebrating the inauguration.

“As autoworkers, we’ve had a very tough four years” because of the financial problems of GM before the Obama-led auto bailout, said David Green, UAW Local 1714 president. “President Obama was a key figure in saving our jobs. We have a lot of

people interested in going. This is my first inauguration. Hopefully, we’ll come back and feel energized and excited. It’s important we’ve got a guy in the White House who supports us.”

Green, an active surrogate for Obama during the presidential campaign in the Mahoning Valley, said he’s excited to attend the inauguration.

“I’m going to soak in the moment,” he said. “It’s our victory and we want to enjoy it.”

As she did in 2009, Mary Monroe of Youngstown, an Obama campaign volunteer, is organizing a trip to this inauguration. About 45 people will get on a bus leaving the Liberty Township administration building shortly after midnight Monday and return that night.

“This year is kind of a double-day as we celebrate Martin Luther King’s birthday and the inauguration of Barack Obama,” Monroe said.

Despite the low temperature in 2009, Monroe said, “I don’t remember being cold. There was so much excitement in the air.”

Comments

1Voodoosdaddy(12 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

What makes it any more historic than any other inauguration?

2oldskool(97 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Another waste of tax payer money

3Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Really can't see what all the hoopla is about. It's just another inauguration ceremony.

4Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

What makes it any more historic than any other inauguration?
Answer!!!!!!!!!
That Romney and The GOP are not there . And that is enough reason to spend all the money. And thank GOD one more time

5Archie1(15 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

My hope now is that we control all
those useless assult weapons.

Good luck President Obama! Your doing a great job!!

6harpercm(9 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, I know the average person wouldn't stay in these hotels due to price. Having recently visited DC, hotels are not inexpensive. I'm wondering if all of these people traveling from YTown are staying in VA, sleeping on the bus...or paying some of these prices

7daysleeper47(59 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

The vast majority of costs for the inauguration are covered by private donation to the Presidential Inaugural Committee and Obama for America. Federal funds are primarily limited to security. Research before you type.

876Ytown(1294 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Archie1: Not "sore loser Republicans" (a divisive term), only realists.

You've definitely been drinking the kool aid to think things are going well.

9redeye1(4699 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

If anyone watches the BS with Obammy , When they pan the crowd with the cameras, all you will see are his sheep. The fools who didn't get all the freebies in his first term. So now they are hoping for a change this time around. The illegals will be lining up for their freebies. too.

@daysleeper You are one who needs to wake up. Do you think that the people who donate to this BS do it for nothing! They will be lining up with their hands out for their freebies too.

10commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Archie --get out of the comic book and see the real world. The only reason the first swearing in was because Obama was the first black president !!!! No other reason. This time is less important because it is the second time a black was elected. You make it sound like NO Republican was ever elected.
As far as the assault weapons ---do you even KNOW what an assault weapon IS (since you don't know how to spell it)?

11commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

This is for Tim Ryan, WHAT does being Catholic have to do with the swearing in???? Why even bring up religion?

12franc004(71 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

13GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Seriously. Would you guys be complaining about the cost if Romney won? I doubt it.

14redeye1(4699 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

@GoPens No, you would be!

15paulydel(1325 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Just another travisty of history thanks to the stupidity of voters.

16JoeFromHubbard(1119 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Considering the shifting demographics in this country, you can't be too surprised that a well to do white guy lost the presidential election. If he is in the new minority, where is our nation headed?

17soylentgreen(11 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

the only way this could be better is, if he were a lesbian athiest!! It is however amazing that the tiny republican party is as noisy as they are.

18isaac45(296 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

@archie1....i see by five posts you may be new, or maybe just don't comment a lot, just read...but this board is Always, Always dominated by sore-loser republicans...i said it before the election as they were getting set to celebrate their big win (they were sure of that) that they simply don't represent this area, this state, or this country...they are the minority, a loud minority to be sure, but nevertheless a minority...they are champion keyboard warriors on sites like this and others though...they had to be absolutely stunned on election night...let them ramble, it's the only major victories they're getting in a long long time...and that is good...God Bless America

19Archie1(15 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Isaac,
I couldn't have said it better. I'm not new to reading about these things. I just don't comment much because the usual comment by the R's don't make sense. I couldn't resist today. What a wonderful tribute to Dr. King. It's sad to see people who are so easily misled ruin such an event. They are the same folks who hold a bible in one hand and a gun in the other. I wonder how many of them have their" concealed carry" permit?
'For the person who commented on my spelling, ask a Democrat what it means. I realize being so narrow minded, you wouldn't understand..
Go Democrats!!!!!

2076Ytown(1294 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't care what color Obama is. Just because his black gene is dominant on the outside doesn't mean he isn't white. Voting for a person just because they are a certain color does not make them qualified to lead a nation. The concern about this president is the direction he is taking this country. The concern about our country is that we are in deep financial trouble. The concern for the people is that we are becoming more dependent on government rather than becoming more self-sufficient. The concern for our future is that we may not fix our problems before it is too late. The concern for our government is that our very constitution is in jeopardy.

2176Ytown(1294 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Archie1: "the usual comment by the R's don't make sense".

We could try to explain at a 6th grade level, just ask.

Lincoln and MLK were republicans. Democrats may want to study some of MLK's famous quotes.

“We must either learn to live together as brothers, or we are going to die together as fools.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

“Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

22Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

archie

"I noticed the posts this morning are from the sore loser Republicans. If you folks would get your heads out of your butts, you may have this oportunity."

I'm a independent and I still don't see what all the hoopla is about.

""Monday is a proud day! We have a strong economy, the ending of 2 wars and prosparity on the rise. What else do you want?""

Your joking, right?

Ask a question and get 2 stupid answers....

""That Romney and The GOP are not there""

""I think it's historic because it is only the second one to occur on MLK day and the first in which a black president is sworn in on MLK day. Just my guess.""

And here I thought the color of one's skin don't matter? Boy was I ever wrong...... smh

23borylie(826 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Archie, as a democrat/liberal can you intelligently explain to me what is a democrat? What is the dems goals and how do you get there?

24kurtw(938 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

History is decisive. Look up the history of the two parties- Republicans and Democrats- going back to Civil War Days- and compare the two.

That should settle the argument as to which side better represents the interests of the American People.

History is decisive.

25TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

The republican party of today barely resembles the parry of Lincoln. Compare today's republicans to the Whigs

26kurtw(938 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm talking about the whole history- Civil War, Re-construction, Jim Crow, Southern Segregation, the Civil Rights Era- right up to the present.

Examine it all and then compare. That's all.

People who blindly support the Dems are generally ignorant of the actual history of that organization. It doesn't make pretty reading.

27TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Right, the republican party of today has the best interest of minorities in mind, eh Kurt? Nice try. Lincoln, Webster, et al would be ashamed of today's party.

28borylie(826 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

TB, Yeah the democrats from Johnson to the current president have managed to convince minorities they are no longer slaves living on plantations,cared for by the slave owners,to living in public housing and cared for by the government. Big improvement. Democrats have to keep minorities convinced they care about them so they can scare them like your trying to do,so that they can count on their vote. Us republicans really want everyone to be equal,that is we're all capable of taking care of ourselves. Exceptions are the elderly and the "truly needy".

29TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

They havent attempted to do so. Apparently you werent listening to the speech today from the head of the democratic party, the President of the United States.

I'm not trying to scare anyone. The track record I referenced above does that just fine.

30borylie(826 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

TB, You're response is feeble at best.

31TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Lie is an appropriate piece of your username

32dearthquake(9 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

To all the 'pubs crying about the cost of the inauguration, what about the millions being pumped into the local economy and their precious "small businesses?" I'm certain it trumps the tax dollars spent when you have nearly a million people paying several hundred dollars a night for a hotel, airfare, busfare, gas, food, etc. I'm sure they are being fleeced every leg of the trip. Not to mention, this would be happening (probably on a grander scaler) if Mittens had won.

33Archie1(15 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Interesting!!!! "W" was absent from this very historic day. Disrespectful in my eyes. Just another case of sour grapes.

The first thing the R's have to do in order to gain credibility is disassociate themselves from the TEA BAGGERS. These folks don't know what they want. Then, get rid of their assault weapons, perhaps read the bible they carry, and never forget we are all equal. "R's", you are not SPECIAL!!!

3476Ytown(1294 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

"Oprah's nonattendance stings worse than any Republican's cold shoulder. She was Obama's biggest celebrity backer when he first ran for President. She even told voters "he is the one." But Winfrey was noticeably M.I.A. throughout Obama's reelection efforts, and her no-show today only raises suspicions about the state of her friendship with the Obamas" http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entert...

35TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

What does that have to do with anything?

36Archie1(15 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Spark, I'm just talking facts. The ending of 2 wars, finally some health care reform, stock market at the highest level in 5 years, ect.... It hard to dispute the facts. If the Dems could get a little cooperation from the R's, we could all, once again, relive the wonderful Clinton years where everyone was doing well. Not just the wealthy.
By the way, I have never worked at GM. I feel sorry for those hard working people. My job is much better and not as physical. Also, I don't hate R's. I just don't agree with their way of thinking. At times, I've voted for some. Finally, I don't know what BTW means.

37Lifes2Short(3878 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

archie

""I have never worked at GM. I feel sorry for those hard working people.""

Are you serious? I know a few that work there and if you think it's hard work, your are misinformed. More power to them for what they do to what they make. Just a little FYI. Don't feel sorry for them.

38borylie(826 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Archie, You never did answer my question in post #28. You dem/liberals don't agree with R's and despise the Tea Party. Would you and your ilk prefer we just let the left do whatever they want and the R's just go away? What kind of cooperation do you want? What kind of country would you have? No guns,open borders,open gay sex,white people giving up more and more income and speech rights until the blacks finally control us like the whites controlled them over 200 years ago? This is their dream and goal. Everybody is needy so you can't take away anything which they now get? No opposition to us trying to be responsible? Who would be the uncompassionate,the mean and greedy citizens as you dem/libs call us anytime we try and act responsibly? Think of life in the USA if this is a one view country run by the left. Government would own your butt.

39TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Should we go back to hw bush? Nixon? Cmon get a grip.

Borylie is bordering on delusions of paranoia...and apparently is afraid of African Americans amongst other things. Keep showing those true colors you loon.

40borylie(826 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

TB, Twice you have disparaged me. Is this the way you handle things you can't handle? You have no legitimate argument, so you resort to playground tactics. If you knew me you'd know I'm afraid of very little. The things I fear now is my freedom and my rights. You obviously need the government to control your life,I don't. Answer my questions in the above posts,especially #28. One more thing if you can handle it, would you prefer no Fox News, so that we'd all hear the same thing? Only what they want to tell you and how they tell it to you?

41TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Playing the victim while making condescending remarks...you fit the fox news profile just fine. I could care less about the news media. I don't get my information from television. Would you be okay with al Jazeera competing with fox news?
You shouldn't fear your freedoms and rights. Which ones specifically are being infringed upon?
You also made a statement about blacks controlling "us" above. Care to expand on that and not come off as being afraid of African Americans?
And none of your questions were addressed to me. I did however offer a suggestion. Many of the democratic talking points were, AGAIN, laid out by the lawfully elected head of the party/President of the United States. You should be able to find a transcript online. Id also recommend tuning in to the upcoming state of the union address so you can hear more on the party platform.

42borylie(826 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

TB,A typical liberal red herring response,answer a question with a question. Truth is you can't answer my questions (and my questions in #48 were addressed to you) because in the liberal world everything is based on theory. Conservatives look at things with much more pragmatism,easier to define. Example: We want more self reliance. You want everybody to live alike in paradise. Except you can't tell us how to get there.
As far as our "black" debate, you ask what rights are being infringed upon? How about 1) My freedom of speech. There's so many words,whether right or wrong, hurtful or not, that we can no longer say. 2) My right to walk or drive safely in just about any neighborhood in Youngstown. Whatever safety we have will soon be gone as law abiding citizens will not be allowed to arm themselves. 3) My right to criticize our President on policy without be called a racist. 4) My right to hire then fire a black and then be called a racist and open to discrimination charges.
As far as Fox News (another question you didn't answer) and al Jazeera,ask Al Gore. He gave them a chance to compete with Fox News. At least now you haven't resorted to name calling, at least I taught you some manners.

43TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I addressed your post in #28 already. You hair didn't like my answer.
I also essentially answered your question in #48, but I'll be clearer. I could care less if foxnews is on the air. I get my news from nonTV sources. Foxnews has as much to exist as extra or access Hollywood or MSNBC.
You claim the pragmatic label for conservatives, but pragmatists, as history shows, are typically moderates. A modern day right winger and a modern day left winger are neither pragmatic, but ideologues.
However, since the republican party has seen fit to purge itself of pragmatists, (see latourette as a local example,) you can claim being pragmatic as much as as storm Thurmond and his ilk claimed the title during the civil rights era.
What words can't you use any more? Your right to use them still exists. It just means, depending on the words you choose, that in a modern progressive society, there mat be consequences you aren't willing to accept for usage. If you truly believe in whatever these freedoms are, go for it. Just remember that anything you say has real-world consequences. No one is stopping you.
As for your right to walk or drive through Youngstown, exercise away. I've both walked and driven through the south side hundreds or thousands of times and never been in danger or approached inappropriately. Never needed a gun either, and as far as I know, I haven't seen anyone taking away ccw.
I didn't call you a racist for criticizing the president. It was for your fear of African Americans and automatically linking them to crime.
You still didn't answer my question about al Jazeera.
Finally you've taught me nothing but confirmed quite a bit. Well done!

44cambridge(3101 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

TB....I grew up on the south side and make a point of visiting my old neighborhood and as many old hangouts I can think of. I agree with you, I have never had a problem, seen a problem or heard of a problem. bor-y-lie is part of the defective and irrelevant so you might as well be talking to a wall.

45AnotherAverageCitizen(1175 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I cannot believe the number of paranoid people worried about losing their guns. No one is going to come take your guns. They are not stopping CCW. You can still carry your gun walking or driving through Youngstown.

Bo, Is Youngstown passing a law that you are not allowed to walk in Youngstown? I don't think so. You can drive in Youngstown if you desire also. Many people criticize our President, I never determine that to be racist.

46borylie(826 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

TB,Cambridge and AverageCitizen. You people are hopeless ideologues. Enjoy life in your liberal world, which includes having the government own you. Good bye.

47TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

I pointed out the ideologue mantle. Glad you were able to repurpose it.
You wanted a debate. When I debated, including point by point rebuttals, you quit.
You're out of your element when you can't simply parrot back talking points but need independent synthesis of thought.
Your foxnews training has just shown through. Short-sighted, lacking, shallow, and loud is no way to conduct a debate.
If you can't hang with the conversation, don't enter it. You're doing 35 in the express lane.

48borylie(826 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

TB, Typical liberal response. Do what you've been doing and turn it around. As fact you said I was short sighted, yet in my posts I've always talked about the future and how what's happening now is going to hit the fan someday. Loud? Where? Shallow? Everyone of your answers were at best shallow. Your answer was for me to listen to President Obama's State of the Union address and to get a transcript of the laid out democrat talking points. Great answers. You should be embarrassed. Can't even answer for yourself, have to have the government do it for you. You debated. 1000 times ha ha ha. Your worse than Cambridge,the ultimate post thread killer. We don't quit, we know you people can't be helped, why keep trying?

49Archie1(15 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

WOW!! What a conversation. I don't quite understand the R's point of view about less government. The last I look, they were all driving their foreign cars on our highways. I haven't witnessed any of them returning their Social Security checks. And their guns, please explain why anyone needs an assault weapon. R's want everything the government has to offer. They just don't want to pay for it.

Go Obama!! Let continue moving this great country forward. Please remove assault weapon from the streets and continue the great recovery.

50TB(1167 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

Again, boryLiE, I went point by point in response with specifics. You are the one offering nothing substantive other than identify me as a.liberal, steal my own arguments (see ideologue,) and throw up your hands when you can't rebut. You also have some ridiculous sidebar about foxnews, which I rebutted.
You've ignored being a racist.
You've ignored the other salient points made.
You obviously can't google to find the democratic party platform, or are simply to lazy to so so.
Every single claim you have made has been addresse
Then you said you were done. And then you weren't. Stay true to your name and character.

51jojuggie(1478 comments)posted 1 year, 10 months ago

A PREDICTION FROM PUNXSATAWNEY BARACK:

Four more years of a lousy economy, & it's always going to be the Republicans fault.