Boxer Kelly Pavlik announces retirement

Published: Sat, January 19, 2013 @ 4:06 p.m.

Former middleweight champion boxer Kelly Pavlik announced his retirement on Saturday, telling ESPN.com "I don't think the drive is there anymore."

"When you stay in the sport too long you have health problems. That's a big, big thing for me," Pavlik said. "I'm not talking about now. I'm talking about in the future. I'm talking about when I'm 55 or 60. What's gonna happen to me then? Why take any more chances, especially in that sport. It's a brutal sport and you never know what can happen.

"I won the world title, I defended my title, I was champ for three years and I made good money. Why take the chance of medical problems? That's a big part of it. I'm moving on to a new chapter in my life."

Pavlik, who grew up on Youngstown's South Side and now lives in Canfield, knocked out Jermain Taylor to win the middleweight title in 2007. He won all three of his fights in 2012 but when a scheduled super middleweight bout with Andre Ward was canceled in January, he opted to retire.

For more details, read Sunday's Vindicator or visit Vindy.com.

Comments

1cambridge(3031 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Best of luck Kelly.

2mrblue(1000 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

It's the right move. Good luck in the future.

3Lifes2Short(3877 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Smart move. Hopefully he's not one of those that come out of retirement for the big $$$$$.

4NoBS(1963 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

Pavlik retired a few years ago, when he turned his back on his roots. Who cares what he's doing now?

5redeye1(4564 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

NoBS What roots? He didn't owe anyone in Y-town a thing. Kelly Best of luck to you and yor family

6excel(284 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

God Bless Kelly in his retirement!

7bmanresident(597 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

The area bars should see an increase in revenue now!

8kensgirl(621 comments)posted 1 year, 9 months ago

All we really want for Kelly is to be a good dad. Isn't that what it's all about anyway?