Wednesday, January 16, 2013
NYC Council eyes disaster planning after Sandys
NEW YORK (AP) — Lawmakers are questioning how well New York City was prepared for food distribution, gasoline shortages and other problems after Superstorm Sandy.
City Council members asked top mayoral aides at a hearing today about improving the city’s storm response.
Councilman Peter Vallone says officials “have to do better” at providing food and other relief soon after a storm.
Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway says the city is still reviewing how it handled the storm. He says one key area is getting more people to comply with evacuation orders.
Holloway highlighted the extent of the city’s response to the Oct. 29 storm. It ranged from giving out about 2 million ready-to-eat meals to arranging electrical and other repairs at 4,800 homes so far.