Utility wants Ohio customers to pay for storm repairs

Published: Fri, January 4, 2013 @ 10:49 a.m.

COLUMBUS (AP) — The utility company American Electric Power wants to make its Ohio customers pick up the $61.8 million tab for repairs from last summer’s severe storms.

The utility’s reimbursement request filed with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio is one of the largest ever in the state, The Columbus Dispatch reported today.

The increase, if approved by the commission, would cost about $3 a month for a typical household for a year. That works out to about a 2-percent rate increase.

The public utility commission will review the plan and take testimony from other interested parties. A ruling isn’t expected until at least the spring.

Comments

1Wapiti(139 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

NO! Everyone pays enough for utilities now. I'm sure the company has some type of "insurance" to cover this instead of making people pay more.

2Ytownnative(1060 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

They made billions in profits last year and they want MORE money? Who do they think they are? Congress? Did they refund any money to the states that didn't have any storms? And the state idiots at PUCO will be more then happy to give them our money. We are going to pay one way or another. I dealt with them (PUCO) once and they regulate energy costs only. SO if I am only approved for $1 per unit and I want $2 and they refuse I can just add a "transportation" charge for $1 per unit.
PUCO, in my opinion is one of the biggest wastes of tax dollars in the state. They do absolutely NOTHING to regulate the actual cost of anything in the state. I would feel very guilty getting a paycheck if I worked for PUCO Like I robbed someone for the money.

3DwightK(1300 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

You know what I would pay for? Put my power lines underground. Every time a branch falls or the wind blows the overhead lines get cut and fall. Put the lines underground and we can stop having blackouts whenever a tree gets blown over.

4VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

My lines are underground, but our substation always loses power first, so it makes no difference.

5redeye1(4687 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

Atre they going to give money back to me when they don't have any major storm damage in a season. Just wondering!

6Robert_Neville(123 comments)posted 1 year, 11 months ago

This is complete bull. If this company does not have insurance then shame on them.

I agree with Y town. These companies are making millions and PUCO needs to stop these small increases. What is next. Are they going to charge me for the wire to my house. Wait they do that already.

They need to stop this rapping of the public like this. It sounds like this company is ran just like or state is.