Warren mayor: Grant loss means fire dept. layoffs
The Warren Fire Department’s attempt to receive a second $5 million grant to keep its staffing level at about 75 firefighters has been rejected, meaning layoffs will occur after May 26, Mayor Doug Franklin said.
The city learned last week it won’t get another Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
The department received one in November 2010 that expired in November 2012, but the government extended it until May 26 of this year because about $2.5 million of the $5 million remained unspent.
Franklin said Thursday that without the grant, there’s “going to be a staff reduction” in the department.
The city will apply for the next SAFER grant available, but he doesn’t think that will prevent the city from laying off some current staff.
For the complete story, read Friday's Vindicator or Vindy.com.