Teachers union, Austintown school board reach tentative agreement

Published: Mon, February 25, 2013 @ 11:36 p.m.

AUSTINTOWN — At about 11:15 p.m. tonight, the Austintown School District and the Austintown Education Association, teacher’s union for the district, reached a tentative agreement in contract negotiations on the teacher contract that expired in May 2012.

A joint statement was being prepared, but was not released at press time.

As of late tonight, the district and the AEA had not reported any details on the new contract and representatives from neither the union or the district could be reached for comment.

The teachers have been without a contract since August, and the association and the district had been in a negotiation session since 3 p.m. today. The AEA voted Feb. 20 to authorize their negotiation team to issue a 10-day notice of intent to strike as the team saw fit.

Comments

1Knightcap(682 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Instead of handing out raises to everyone why didn't they work together to bring back the bus drivers with full benefits. I guess if you work on a bus sometimes you get thrown under it. We'll be seeing a levy soon to pay for these raises while others are out of work with no benefits.

2RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

But "A-Town parent" told us it was all about classroom sizes and student resources? Now they have settled when the district offered base salary guarantees and salary increases. Imagine that, I am so shocked.

3AtownParent(561 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm sorry, I could have sworn I saw on the news this morning that included in the issues were also resources and classroom size.....yep, I did. RTS, we support our teachers in Austintown, sorry you don't support yours in whatever town you live in.

4UNCOMMONSENSE(353 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I got a chuckle out of the union president when she said the teachers deserve a "fair" wage.

5RTS1416(117 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

Better check the last thread where you commented on this subject...
"I agree uncommon, just stating that the problem is not with teacher wages."
Yet today's headlines read salary, salary, salary with a foot note about classroom sizes.
If you support your teachers so well than why have they been working without a contract for so long and having to threaten to strike? The teachers in my district are well compensated for their fine efforts and we have no issues with classroom sizes or supplies, tutor's or contracts. I am a supporter of teachers but I am against false, misleading comments as were posted in the last thread on the issue.

6mnascar(36 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

With the government cutting back on school monies, home owners not wanting to up their taxes, where do they think they are going to get the money to pay for this? Thought the system said it projects a 17 million dollar deficit.

7Dagwood(110 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

BS. I find it very hard to believe that this union was striking because of a lack of school supplies and the size of their classes. The union most likely said "Look if we have to use older materials and teach bigger classes than we want more money". I guess its time for more teacher cuts so the big mouths in the union can get their raises or like Knightcap said "Levy time"-->that train is never late.

8AtownParent(561 comments)posted 1 year, 4 months ago

I am sure you all are so well informed on the subject beyond what you read in the paper correct? You have been to the board meetings and know why the teachers are upset with the administration right? Yep, that's what I thought. There is so much more going on that is not reported by the Vindy. But, I'll let you all fight it out with your opinions based upon what you read on the internet. Because you know they can't put it on the net if it isn't true.