No injuries in fire

No injuries in fire


A fire at a house at 752 Broadway caused $13,000 in damage to the structure.

Firefighters were called at 5:13 p.m. Friday and arrived four minutes later. The man living at the North Side house got out before firefighters arrived. The fire started on the kitchen’s stove, possibly caused by grease or other cooking materials, according to a fire report. No injuries were reported.

Fire in Champion


A fire in a garage at 5545 South Chapel Hill Court caused major damage but was contained to the garage. The call about the fire came at 1:49 p.m. Saturday. A fire report doesn’t list a cause, but the state fire marshal was called to investigate. No injuries were reported.

Cemetery cleanup


A cleanup of all winter decorations for grounds and mausoleums begins Friday at Green Haven Memorial Gardens, 3495 S. Canfield-Niles Road. For information, call the cemetery at 330-533-6811.

Film presentation


The Mahoning Valley Organizing Collaborative presents “The House I Live In,” an award-winning documentary by Eugene Jarecki, from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Warren YWCA, 375 N. Park Ave.

The film investigates the “War on Drugs” and the effects of institutionalized racism and mass incarceration on families and communities. Refreshments will be served, and a panel discussion will follow. The event is free. For information, call 330-743-1196 or go to

Town-hall meeting


State Rep. Nick Barborak of Lisbon, D-5th, will have a town-hall meeting at 10 a.m. Saturday at Columbiana Public Library, 332 N. Middle St. He will discuss education funding, Medicaid expansion, Gov. John Kasich’s proposed tax changes, and answer questions on any issues.

More Digest on A10

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.