Police looking for suspect in murder of South Side man

By John W. Goodwin Jr.



The city’s second homicide was caused by a family dispute between an uncle and his nephew, police said.

Police were called to 422 W. Princeton Ave. at 1:45 a.m. Tuesday reporting a shooting. When officers arrived, they found 28-year-old Frank Whitted unresponsive and slumped over a chair in the home’s living room.

Police determined Whitted suffered a gunshot wound to the chest. Paramedics worked on Whitted for an extended period of time before he was rushed to St. Elizabeth Health Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Dr. Joseph Ohr, Mahon-ing County deputy coroner and forensic pathologist, ruled the death a homicide. He said an autopsy was scheduled for today.

A 50-year-old female told police she was upstairs in a bedroom when she heard what sounded like a gunshot from the first floor. She said the victim’s nephew, 25-year-old Emmett Perkins, ran up the stairs and told her “he had just shot Uncle Frank.”

The woman said she went to the wounded man and attempted to administer CPR until police arrived at the house.

Police took Whitted’s 2-year-old son from the house as emergency personnel worked to revive his father. The child was placed in the care of an aunt.

Police Chief Rod Foley said investigators are looking at Perkins as a definite suspect in the shooting.

“They obviously knew each other, and the subject appears to be the nephew of the victim. He made some incriminating comments that led us to get a warrant for his arrest,” Foley said.

Police don’t know how the argument started or who all may have been involved in the altercation, but they hope Perkins surrenders so detectives can speak with him, the chief added.

Officers determined the initial 911 call likely was made by Perkins. Police did call him back, and Perkins reportedly asked if his uncle was OK, but said he was not returning to the residence where the shooting took place.

Court records show Perkins was convicted of misdemeanor assault and child endangering in 2008 on charges amended from a felony arrest. Records also show a conviction for criminal damaging in 2008.

Frank Whitted has faced charges twice in the last eight years for possession of drugs. Court records also show a 2006 charge for illegal possession of a weapon and a 2002 charge for disorderly conduct.

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.