It’s time to act on gun safety

Published: Fri, February 1, 2013 @ 12:00 a.m.

It’s time to act on gun safety

In the United States, more than 85 people are killed at the hands of gun violence every day. More than twice as many people are injured. Over the past few years, we’ve seen mass shooting after mass shooting. Most recently, 20 elementary school students and 6 of their teachers died at the hands of a troubled young man in Newtown, Conn.

The time to discuss what to do with guns in America is not the future. It’s in the past, before we had to mourn the deaths of children. We can’t wait until “it’s the right time.” The right time was yesterday. We have to work toward safe gun policy today.

President Obama laid out his plan for a safer gun culture, but here’s what the KSU College Democrats and I believe is more important:

1. A Federal Background Check System encompassing all 50 states, with mandatory reporting for all gun sales, including those at gun shows.

2. A re-instatement of the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act of 1994, known colloquially as the “Assault Weapons Ban.”

3. A national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign including statistics about gun injuries and deaths in the U.S., safe gun storage and gun ownership liability.

4. An examination of our violent American culture.

5. A discussion of the actual rights granted by the Second Amendment.

We also realize that our health-care system needs to be a central focus of the national gun debate. Through the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and the Affordable Care Act, many more Americans will soon have mental health coverage the same as their physical health coverage.

We need to fix this problem. We need to have the right conversations. One more day of bloodshed is too many.

Jake Green, Kent

The writer is president of the Kent State University College Democrats.

Comments

1Adnil(24 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

I applaud you. This all makes perfect sense to me.

2Photoman(1030 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

When I travel, I get through gun control states as rapidly as possible. They're just too dangerous as only law enforcement personnel and criminals are likely to have guns. Law enforcement is spread thinly in these states but the criminals are everywhere.

3Sensible(118 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Way to go Hman, lets begin the adult conversation by calling the young man delusional!

4VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

What "The People" are avoiding is where this gun crime is centered. The majority of gun crime is in urban areas and is being committed by teenagers who are not supposed to purchase, own or posses handguns. Yet, this is where all the crime is growing. So, rather than address and fix this issue, our politicians, the media and gun control advocates are overlooking it and blaming the rest of society for what they created with their liberal policies against crimes committed by urban teens.

5walter_sobchak(2031 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

5. A discussion of the actual rights granted by the Second Amendment.

Once again, a civic lesson is needed! The Bill of Rights grants no rights. They are a limitation of the power of the central govt so that the rights of the people, that already exist, are not infringed. The Preamble to the Bill of Rights (which most Americans probably haven't read) states:

"THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution."

The Second Amendment reads:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Seems rather obvious. To maintain their security, the people need to have and use "arms". Now, the government does have the right to set to regulations for obtaining and possessing arms. That is where the discussion needs to be centered. But, if I am a law-abiding citizen, I should be able to obtain a firearm if I can meet reasonable requirements.

6HappyBob(285 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

Walter, you point is well taken with regard to the 2nd amendment granting rights. I just wish that more people understood the point you are making.

Where I think people get hung up is the phrase "shall not be infringed". There is a whole group of people who reject the notion that firearms are, or should be, subject to any regulation at all. Unfortunately for those persons the Supreme court has made it plain that firearms can and should be regulated.
Unless and until Heller is overturned, this is settled law. So the non-regulation folks will just have to swallow that.

I might just add that the folks who promote non-regulation seem to accept that being a law-abiding citizen is a exception to the literal reading of the 2nd amendment. Non-regulation is just that, non-regulation, therefore people of any background would be entitled to arm themselves with whatever firearms they wish.

The actual discussion about regulation should be around what is reasonable and prudent in our current and foreseeable environment. On the question of whether to regulate or not.... that train left the station years ago.

7cambridge(3178 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

walter....I agree with your post. I would only slightly edit you last paragraph with the addition of the word...."(reasonable) fire arm if I can meet reasonable requirements."

8redeye1(4879 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

KSUgrad QUIT your whining Hman called as he sees it. In today society we have to many LIBERAl profeessors who feel the need to spread their BS throughout the world. What a shame. I too went to KSU

9HelterSkelter(2 comments)posted 2 years, 1 month ago

It's time to act on medical safety.

Medical errors cause between 180,000 - 200,000 deaths a year.

So you are about six times more likely to be killed by a doctor than a gun.

Is it time to outlaw doctors?

10cambridge(3178 comments)posted 2 years ago

hman....firearms designed for hunting would be reasonable in my opinion. While Walter and I may disagree what constitutes "reasonable" firearms and requirements. I was trying to make the point that even I agree with "reasonable" gun enthusiast's.

11HelterSkelter(2 comments)posted 2 years ago

@KSUgrad,

You forgot an apostrophe. I was well schooled in the proper use of apostrophes in high school.

12excel(390 comments)posted 2 years ago

Confiscate all of the guns. Obama can lead the way by giving up his shotgun. He has no need to shoot skeet.

13kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

"The discussion should now be what is reasonable regulation and how far can that regulation go before it infringes on other "rights" "
That discussion was had about 200+years ago. The people who founded this country decided that since the gubmint would control the military (the well regulated militia) and possibly try to use it against it's own subjects (the people), "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". They had just gone through that crap. It really can't get much planer!
Constitution 101:
The first priority was to worship as they wish and speak their minds so they wrote Article I of the Bill of Rights.
The second priority was to protect that first RIGHT in the event the gubmint got a little rambunctious.
Aw hell, this will splain it better...
go to the "tube" video site and search for "Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment! ".

14kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

ksu- as far as 'federal' regulation, yes. The first 10 amendments were intended to limit the power of the federal gubmint. 2A says "shall not be infringed". State and local laws may be needed to regulate where and when firearms may be discharged (for practice, hunting, recreation, etc.).
Sometimes people (including SCOTUS) try to be overly intellectual and read way too much into a simple straightforward sentence with 27 words (most of which are 5 letters or less) that simply says the federal gumbint may do NOTHING that would hinder me (or you) from owning and carrying weapons...period. If anyone thinks they may (limit me) then I will seek to introduce a law that they must be gagged before entering a theater because they might yell "fire". If we're going to trash one amendment we'd may as well trash them all and just rename this country to something like... Cuba.

15kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

Actually, there is NO law by congress or anyone else that PREVENTS criminals and mentally deranged people from arming themselves (not that works anyway). There should be state and local laws that can be used to prosecute and punish those groups. Back in those days you were hung or shot for committing murder (obviously NOT "cruel and unusual" punishments) but now you just plead guilty to manslaughter, get out in 5 or less and kill again (see Youngstown). I think the writers knew that people were (and would be) wimpy and squeamish and intended exactly what they wrote...short and to the point so it would be easily understood that it is a RIGHT to protect yourself against all enemies, foreign and domestic.
I don't know much about the NRA but I do know I would not determine if something is constitutional or not just by whether they challenge the law or not. Maybe they don't waste their time challenging the Brady act because it is basically useless. Didn't do a damn thing to stop Sandy Hook did it? In fact, if the Constitution were followed someone would probably have been armed and reporting of the incident strongly suggests that person would have only had to show the gun and the perp would have offed himself right then (since that's what he did when he heard cops coming). Tear down the criminal protection zone signs and I guarantee these types of shootings will be drastically reduced. I believe only 1 of the last 10 mass shootings took place in "gun free" zones. The shooting at the Oregon mall was stopped by a concealed carry who did not see the sign when he entered the mall. He did not have to shoot the perp. The perp went to a concealed area and popped one in his own head. Only 2 people were killed in a busy (Christmas time) mall.

16kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

correction--only 1 of the last 10 mass shootings took place OUTSIDE of a "gun free" zone.

17kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

The law COULD be changed to allow teachers, administration,etc. to carry in "gun free zones" but no, in Ohio (unless you are law enforcement or the security guard) you cannot carry even with a ccw. Anywhere, that stupid sign is. Even if you own a business, if your policy is and you post the sign, you cannot even give employees permission to carry. You may carry as owner of the business but unless the ccw instructor was misleading us or mistaken, NO ONE else can.
Your analogy of the speed zone is like comparing apples to spinach. If I was a speeder and an area of road was marked as "radar/cop free" zone I would be attracted to that area to speed. If I were a burglar and a neighborhood was marked as an "alarm/security free zone" I would be attracted to that area to burgle. And if I was a fruitcake looking to rack up a big body count I would be attracted to a "gun free zone". That is why they are called "criminal protection zones". The ONLY thing that "gun free zones" accomplishes is to deny law abiding citizens any chance to defend themselves. I can't say ALL mass shooters go to CPZ's, (soft targets) but looking though the list of mass shootings since 1982 I see places where people normally don't carry (churches), states that did not at that time allow for concealed carry or make it extremely expensive and difficult to get permit (CA), children's hangouts (Chuck E. Cheese's killings: Aurora, Colorado Dec. 14, 1993), etc. I see several where the shooter probably didn't care because he had a vendetta (workplace shootings, think ex-cop in CA). But the majority are/were in places that were gun free or gun unlikely.

18kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

Aug. 5, 2012

Accent Signage Systems shooting
Sep. 27, 2012

Connecticut elementary school shooting
Dec. 14, 2012 SOFT TARGET School Zone Post GFSZA
"
50% were in CPZ's or a church. At least 2 look like workplace or was mad (jilted lover) of a person who worked at that place.
What will 2013 be like? Well, that ex-cop in CA has us off to a good start. If I were to come face to face with him I would prefer to be prepared, and if he got me before I got him, at least I would not die as a defenseless victim. I would at least have a chance. That ex-cop will either be shot or eat his gun or freeze to death in the mountains but there will be the next one and the one after that and the more restrictions you put on the lawful citizens, the higher the body counts will be. And no matter what the reasoning, it still comes down to, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms". No amount of background checks works. Look at the cops and ex-cops that commit crimes with guns. Maybe not a lot as far as the number of good cops but I can argue that the number of nuts and loonies who commit gun crimes compared to the nuts and loonies out there is miniscule". As far as guns go, I can live with what we have now even though it is the camels nose in the tent. But what is being proposed is the camel in all the way to the hump. We know what comes in next.
Search for "Suzanna Gratia Hupp explains meaning of 2nd Amendment" on the "tube" site that shows videos (don't know if you can post links here). I wish (and I KNOW she does) that she had been packing. Watch the whole thing though, there's more after her testimony to congress.

19kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

For every law there is an opposite and equal loophole. ORC does allow for armed teachers but (at least until recently) most or all school policies were no guns. This is obviously changing.
---"I also take issue with your statement that "no amount of background checks works". Are you suggesting the denial to purchase guns by 1.5 million criminal applicants makes no difference? If those weapons purchases had been permitted there would have been no impact ? There is no way that you can prove your point."----
I am saying there most likely would be no difference because any or all of those criminals that wanted guns can get them by just going a little north of Midlothian. Hell, a pi$$ poor machinist can MAKE a gun. My point was that many who cannot pass a b.c. would never use a gun to kill another person and that many who do pass a b.c. go out and kill people (ex-cop in L.A., Aurora shooter). But basically, the two examples I gave (and I'm sure there are MANY more) PROVES that b.c's are useless. If they really worked, there would not be a dead cop and many dead civilians in CA and CO. Background checks or not, criminals will get guns, criminals will kill people. Law abiding citizens will not kill people whether they have a gun or not. Show me the proof that b.c.'s actually prevent even one murder and I might reconsider. The criminal that wants a gun Will get a gun (or make one).
---"I would agree with you that to the non law abiding a sign that says "radar/cop free zone" would be an invitation to speed. But that's not what the signs say. The sign begins with " Unless authorized by law ...."
So I will stand by my suggested analogy."----
In a court house the sign "Unless authorized by law..." most likely means that nobody but cops have guns but there probably ARE cops with guns in there. On a school or most businesses that have signs with that wording it means (to the criminal) that if there happens to be a cop in there or there just happens to be a security guard present he may be carrying his weapon IF they just happen to be there.
Don't know if you are talking about school zones specifically but there is no standard I know of for "gun free" zones. Some just have a picture of a gun with a red circle and line through it, others have various wording. but your analogy was still apples to spinach (but you are free to stand by it). "Gun free" zones are attractive to those who wish to rack up body counts without much if any interference. People with vendettas, they don't care.
The Aurora shooter had several theaters to choose from but he went to the ONE that had a STATED policy of no weapons allowed. coincidence? I don't think so. Reporting is that he drove past several theaters showing the same movie (full house) to go to the Century (Cinemark owned) theater which had a sign.

20kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

Near as I can tell, doing a quick gurgle search and just scanning over the search page results, virtually ALL mass shootings (except 1) in the last 20 years have been in criminal protection zones. Feel free to do your own research and let me know if you find any different results from an authoritative or unbiased source.

21Askmeificare(754 comments)posted 2 years ago

As a responder in Vindy City, In the County of the Land of Mahoning, I respond to this article regally and put my thoughts into a post, legally.

22kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

---"So now you DO agree that the Ohio State law does permit teachers, admin etc to possess firearms in a school safety zone. But you don't like either the idea that they can be authorized or that the state law requires a sign outside that says so."----
No, I have nothing against teachers being armed if they wish and nothing I've said would show otherwise. The signs do nothing but invite criminals and inhibit/inconvenience law abiding citizens. Nice to see that OH does allow for armed teachers but still, if the policy of most schools is that no one may carry, what good is it?
Of course those policies are most likely changing.
BTW, you do not need to c&p entire (or even partial) laws. I can gooooogle OCR 2923.1212, etc. Like I've said before, for every law there is an opposite and equal re-law (loophole). There is federal law, state law, local laws and policies. Who trumps who?
Your last statement is totally backa$$wards and looking at the number of mass shootings in criminal protection zones I would say YOUR argument is illogical.

23kk80586(227 comments)posted 2 years ago

"Askmeificare(541 comments)posted 14 hours, 6 minutes ago

You see, and I have got to state this meagerly, to be, you see, yes banshee, a gun banshee, is morally, ethically, spiritually, physically, positively, absolutely, undeniably and, reliably, limit gun ownership!"

Nothing intelligent to add?

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.