facebooktwitterRSS
- Advertisement -
  • Most Commentedmost commented up
  • Most Emailedmost emailed up
  • Popularmost popular up
- Advertisement -
 

« News Home

Buckeyes still aren’t over defeat



Published: Sat, December 14, 2013 @ 12:00 a.m.

Associated Press

COLUMBUS

The Ohio State Buckeyes were hoping to prepare for a major bowl game. Just not this one.

A loss in last week’s Big Ten title game to Michigan State ended the Buckeyes’ 23-game winning streak and extinguished their chances of playing for a national championship.

Now they must pick up the pieces and make the best of what’s left, preparing for Clemson in the Orange Bowl instead of playing for the biggest trophy in the glare of the BCS final.

“Obviously, we’re not going to where we thought we were going or where we wanted to be going, but we’re playing in the Orange Bowl and that’s a big-time bowl game,” offensive lineman Jack Mewhort said. “When you start going back to the coulda, woulda, shouldas, that’s poisonous for team. It’s our job as leaders to look ahead and make sure everybody is doing their business.”

The Buckeyes said on Tuesday that they’re still not quite over the 34-24 loss to the Spartans last Saturday night.

There was so much on the line: A school-record winning streak, the conference crown and almost certainly a spot opposite Florida State in the national championship game.

But that all turned to dust.

“I’m trying to not think about it anymore. I’ve pretty much gotten over it. But it was really hard. I mean, it still gets at me every once in a while. It was really hard for a couple of days,” freshman defensive lineman Joey Bosa said of his first collegiate defeat. “We had an opportunity to go 25-0 and play for the national championship. Obviously, you lose that opportunity, it’s going to make anyone upset.”

As if that weren’t enough to overcome, several other Buckeyes have their futures on their minds.

Two important underclassmen are at least looking into the possibility of jumping into the NFL draft early next spring: Quarterback Braxton Miller and linebacker Ryan Shazier. They will likely file the paperwork to get an evaluation from NFL scouts to better judge where they might be taken in the draft.

“I’m just going to talk it over with my family and the coaches,” said Shazier, a first-team All-Big Ten choice. “(I’ll) try to get the best analysis I can so when I do make my decision it’ll be the best for me.”

Redshirt junior cornerback Bradley Roby has already decided he’ll head for the pros.

At the moment Shazier said he’s “in the middle” in terms of whether he’ll stay or take the money and run.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” he said.


Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.


News
Opinion
Entertainment
Sports
Marketplace
Classifieds
Records
Discussions
Community
Help
Forms
Neighbors

HomeTerms of UsePrivacy StatementAdvertiseStaff DirectoryHelp
© 2014 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.
107 Vindicator Square. Youngstown, OH 44503

Phone Main: 330.747.1471 • Interactive Advertising: 330.740.2955 • Classified Advertising: 330.746.6565
Sponsored Links: Vindy Wheels | Vindy Jobs | Vindy Homes