’Tis the season of giving — and Hot Chocolate on a Stick is a fun and thoughtful gift that will warm hearts and taste buds alike. A creative twist on hot chocolate, it’s easy to make with kids and sure to please the “hard to shop for” recipients on your list.
“Peppermint extract adds a holiday touch to these fudgy squares,” said Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens. “I always include a little note explaining how to enjoy the treat, like ‘Swirl into a mug of hot milk for a rich and creamy drink.’”
For the finishing touch, top each one with a marshmallow and wrap in cellophane with colorful ribbon. Discover other flavor variations — like mocha and orange — and more gift ideas at www.McCormick.com, www.Facebook.com/McCormickSpice, or www.Pinterest.com/mccormickspices.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate on a Stick
Makes 36 servings
2 pounds white baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon McCormick Pure Peppermint Extract
4 drops McCormick Red Food Color
18 large marshmallows, halved crosswise
36 lollipop sticks
1. Line 9-inch square baking pan with foil. Spray foil with no stick cooking spray. Place chopped chocolate in large bowl. Set aside.
2. Bring sweetened condensed milk and cream to simmer in medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring frequently with wire whisk. Pour over chopped chocolate. Let stand 1 minute. Whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in peppermint extract. Remove 3/4 cup chocolate mixture. Tint chocolate mixture pink with red food color.
3. Pour remaining (plain) chocolate mixture to prepared pan. Drop tinted chocolate mixture by tablespoons over chocolate mixture in pan. Swirl with knife for marble effect.
4. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight until firm. Cut into 36 squares. (May be made ahead. Store chocolate mixture, tightly covered, in pan in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Bring to room temperature before cutting into squares.)
5. To assemble chocolate on a stick, thread a marshmallow half and a chocolate square onto each lollipop stick. Wrap each hot chocolate on a stick in plastic wrap or small cellophane bag. (May be assembled up to 2 days ahead.)
6. To serve, stir hot chocolate on a stick into 8 ounces hot milk.