Son charged with murder in mom's death in Ohio

Published: Tue, December 10, 2013 @ 9:15 a.m.

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio man has been charged with fatally stabbing his mother, found with a hunting knife in her chest and wrapped in a blanket in a bedroom of their home.

Toledo police say the body of 56-year-old Mary Bertolina was found Monday afternoon after co-workers said she hadn’t arrived at her job.

Police say her 34-year-old son, Anthony Bertolina, was arrested and charged with murder. He was placed in the Lucas County jail to await an arraignment later today.

No motive was mentioned.

The Blade newspaper of Toledo says the victim was a longtime employee of the newspaper and had recently worked as regional circulation manager.

Comments

1DACOUNTRYBOY(238 comments)posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago

TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE

Anthony M. Bertolina

Anthony Bertolina, also known as Lord Mordecai began his training in 1997 at a well known coven in Toledo, Ohio founded by Lady Circe in 1971. From 1997 until 2008, Lord Mordecai studied under Lord Martigan, an Elder and student of Lady Circe's, receiving the Third Degree on Hallowmas of 2008. Lord Mordecai founded the Black Swamp Circle of the Old Religion in 2009 as a coven which works exclusively with the spirits of the land on which we reside.

Many folks in the cities live in cultures that only produce the destruction of their souls.

2nhendry(3 comments)posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I would like to know who felt this was important to post this about Anthony Bertolina and his "religious" path. Why is this important and why is it labeled "Tales from the Dark Side"? I am offended that you have linked these two together. I was a member of the S&B and a Priest of the Old Religion. Lady Circe was my Spiritual Grandmother and Lord Martigan a trusted friend. Anthony Bertolina, formely known as Mordecai, left all those groups behind years ago. His actions do not reflect the S&B or Lady Circe's teachings or Lord Martigans teachings or in anyways the teachings and beliefs of the Old Religion or Witchcraft. Anthony Bertolina, who used to be a close friend of mine, betrayed and lied and stole from us all and we all are sickened and saddened by the choices he made. These were his choices and no way linked to any group or name listed above.

3nigebirch(1 comment)posted 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I knew his mother, Mary, well. I also knew Circe (Jeffrey Cather) before and during the time she had her shop in the Oliver House.
What I know about Mary is that she was a hard worker, a loyal friend, and a good person. She did everything for Tony, and all he did was demand.
I am trying to understand a couple of things here: One is how a person like Tony could have been a good friend to anyone for any length of time. IMO, he has the personality of a budding serial killer. Although, as far as we know, he did not kill anyone else, killing his mother was perhaps the start of more to come from this sick puppy. Why would he kill his mother with such vehemence when she was probably his biggest, and maybe his only, advocate in the end?
Since I only knew Mary, perhaps one of you who knew Tony could shed some light on this for me. What he did to his mother was not only dastardly, but he took a very good person from this earth.

4Zaney(1 comment)posted 10 months, 1 week ago

Not sure why I'm commenting on this but when I found out about this murder, I searched online and was linked to this site. Anthony was not a friend of mine, but I do know him. I am also pagan, not associated with any coven, but I don't think his acts should be linked to being a part of Lady Circe's coven. It is offensive. Anyways, from what I remember from Tony, he was a very odd and shady person. I know of someone he taught wicca to, and he just gave this person a lot of false information about the religion. This person also discontinued a friendship with him due to his lies. I remember looking up local covens on witchvox and Tony was advertising his coven on that site. When I had read he was the priest, all I could think was, I feel for those who are being duped by this guy and are getting taught by him. Reminds me why I choose to be a solitary witch. No offense to other covens, but I have run across some other so called male leaders of local covens in Toledo who shouldn't be teaching or leading a coven.

5nhendry(3 comments)posted 10 months, 1 week ago

Nigebirch I think you are so right about Anthony and his issues. I was a close friend of his for a while. I unfortunately do not know what totally happened with him. Either he was somewhat decent or he was a very good actor who can glamour himself to look like a trusting individual. I used to believe the first, but as more light was revealed to me I feel he was just a good actor who was just self centered and self serving and the best way he knew how to get what he wanted was by being the Cunning Fox and sneaking into the Chicken Coop by acting like a friend to the Farmer.

6nhendry(3 comments)posted 10 months, 1 week ago

Zaney nicely said. Every religion has their crazies in it and to link the actions of one person to everything like the guy above did is wrong and disrespectful. It puts those things into a negative light and that should not be the way it is. Anthony was just plain evil. What I think is funny is they cut and pasted that from somewhere else, but it doesn't mention his close involvement with the Catholic Churches in the area which, like everything else, he betrayed and stole from. In the end Anthony's actions were his own and by his own admittance he knew what he was doing. The people and groups above, including his own group, he left years ago. He was a power seeker and status claimed and in the end turned to the only thing he cared for and worshipped. Himself and drugs. I kind of feel sorry for him as he has nobody in this world NOR does he have anything in the Spiritual World. I am pretty sure if you steal from Gods House, claim the Old Gods are Dead, and offend the other Entity's and Spirits you claim to work with he will be destroyed by his own deeds and actions.