Rams fire back after Kosar’s TV criticism

Published: Sun, August 11, 2013 @ 12:07 a.m.

SEE ALSO: PUSKAS | Irate Rams fans should lighten up

McClatchy-Tribune

ST. LOUIS

Jeff Fisher is a football coach obviously, not a TV critic. But he couldn’t wait to be asked Saturday about Bernie Kosar’s scathing criticism of Rams receivers, receivers coach Ray Sherman, and quarterback Kellen Clemens in Thursday’s Rams-Browns preseason opener.

“First off, let me say this,” Fisher told reporters following Saturday’s practice at Rams Park. “The Cleveland Brown organization is a first-class organization from top to bottom and it has been that for years and years and years.

“I guess I’m a little disappointed. I felt bad for them that they had someone doing their broadcasts feel the need to speak that way about players, specifically on our team, and coaches for that matter. I’m just surprised that Bernie has such a lack of respect for players and for this game. To be honest with you, I lost a lot of respect for him.

“This game, it’s a preseason game, players are playing hard. It’s highly unlikely he knew anything about our football team but felt the need to make those comments. And I don’t think they were justified.”

Rams wide receivers dropped three catchable balls in the first half, and Kosar — who was color analyst for the game on the Browns’ telecast — was highly critical each time. At one point, he called the Rams’ receivers “horrible.” Play-by-play man Jim Donovan then playfully chided Kosar, saying the receivers’ parents could be watching, Kosar replied by saying he’d “be embarrassed” if he was one of their parents.

But then came the real zinger by Kosar after backup wideout Nick Johnson had a pass sail through his hands on a third-and-3 play.

“I’m checking through the ’itinerary’ of coaches to see who the receivers coach is, to make sure I don’t know who the guy is because he’s not doing very good either,” Kosar said.

The Rams wide receivers coach is the well-respected Ray Sherman, a veteran of 24 years as an NFL assistant coach.

“I heard about that,” Sherman said, of Kosar’s comments. “I don’t worry about people like that. Hopefully, he’ll get himself some help because evidently he’s saying things that he really doesn’t have any knowledge about. He doesn’t know what the routes are; he doesn’t know what guys are supposed to do. But I don’t worry about that. Really I don’t want to get into it.”

Later in the broadcast, Kosar had his most strident criticism for Clemens, the veteran quarterback who’s battling for a job once again on the Rams’ roster.

Long before Clemens took the field, Kosar said he wasn’t looking forward to watching the Rams’ quarterback scheduled to play in the fourth quarter [Clemens] because “me and him haven’t done too well together.”

When asked about that remark, Clemens said, “I’ve had no interaction with Bernie Kosar that I’m aware of. I’ve never met him. Not that I remember.”

Speaking of Kosar’s playing career, Clemens said, “He gave us a lot of great examples throughout his career of what it’s like to play quarterback, and how to do it at a high level.

“Unfortunately, he also gave us a couple of examples in his commentating career of what not to do.”

Comments

1islandgrump(59 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Kosar should have talked about his own short comings as a quarterback. He would still be talking. Kosar is no one to be criticizing anyone. Look in the mirror Bernie boy! Biggest cry baby ever. Take a knee Bernie. Got him a super bowl ring. Never broke a sweat with the Cowboys.

2canfcard(65 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Obviously my man is back on the sauce.

3YtownSports(228 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Sorry to say, but. I thought Bernie had some pre-game cocktails. He struggled to speak clearly and his eyes were unfocused. It was a sad sight.

4GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Bernie drunk on the broadcasts again...

5southsidedave(4780 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Kosar can say whatever he wants...the Browns will still have a losing season

6papa1(662 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

what rock did all these squealer fans crawl out of? you better shut up because we will beat you TWICE this season. the squealers are on the way backdown to where they were in the 50's and 60's and the browns are on the way up up up. but don't feel too bad squealer fans, you had a good run. I repeat, had. and leave it to a squealer fan to ridicule a good qb who had the browns right on the cusp of a superbowl that suffered 13 concussions which have impaired his speech. you have the youngest o-line in the league and you will be our b!tch this year!!

7valleymom(38 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Papa1, IN YOUR DREAMS!!! As always, Browns fans crying, it's gonna be our year. I admire the eternal optimism, but, this article was about Bernie Kosar and his flubs, not about the Browns as a whole. And Bernie, who never learned proper English, was speaking even worse than usual on this broadcast. I agree with those who question whether or not he'd been drinking. How embarrassing for the station and his fans. It's well, not good, and rather than "me and him" it should be he and I.

8GoPens(397 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't let your jealousy of the Steelers cloud the truth. Every preseason game for the past several years, Bernie sounds like he's pouring himself a new one every 15 minutes

9gpyemm(11 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

Way to go Bernie! Television commentators never criticize bad play and its about time someone has the "nerve" to speak what is the truth. I would like to have one guy say "Kosar was right, we did stink!" Their million dollar egos would never let that happen.

10papa1(662 comments)posted 1 year, 1 month ago

the browns will make a lot of teams look bad this year.