The steeple at Ellsworth Presbyterian Church, near the intersection of Ohio 45 and U.S. 224, will be dedicated during a program from 2 to 4 p.m. Aug. 18. The program will feature a brief history and review of fundraisers and donations that made the new steeple possible.
God’s Quad will entertain. There will be refreshments and fellowship.
The steeple was damaged during a windstorm Sept. 14, 2008, and began to lean. The church organized a Save Our Steeple campaign to raise funds for the repair.
The landmark church played a role in the settlement of the Western Reserve. It’s a site of worship along with a meeting place for community groups. The church, chartered in 1818, was built in 1833, and the bell tower was part of the original structure.
Tony and Mary Lariccia, Valley philanthropists, donated $50,000 to the cause, and the church raised $25,000. The overall cost of removing the steeple and bell, having a temporary covering and re-installing the steeple and bell was $72,706. The new steeple, which is topped by a cross, is made of fiberglass.
The church has a carillon that plays three selections at random at noon and 6 p.m.
The antique bell, weighing 800 pounds, will be rung but only the clapper will move to reduce stress.
Bonnie Dutton is pastor.