Man to be arraigned today in Youngstown homicide

Published: Fri, August 2, 2013 @ 9:50 a.m.

YOUNGSTOWN — Police arrested a Mount Vernon Avenue man late Thursday afternoon for a July 25 homicide on the city's South Side.

Michael D. Brown, 20, is charged with aggravated murder in the death of 19-year-old Daniel Watkins of Boardman, who was found shot several times in a car at a Loveland Road home who later died.

Brown is expected to be arraigned today in Youngstown Municipal Court.

Chief of Detectives Capt. Mark Milstead said Watkins was killed in a dispute over drugs.

For the complete story, read Saturday's Vindicator and Vindy.com

Comments

1southsidedave(4810 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Another senseless person killed in a dispute over drugs, where does it all end?

2firwin(3 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

I understand you are allowed to have and voice your own opinion, however I am his sister. He was a good child. We were not raised in this manner. Somewhere along the way his stepfather was killed in a hate crime and then it went south. He was a sheltered child. He had everything given to him and he was and is loved. He had a horrible role model of my uncle. The boy was reaching for something and he thought is was a weapon over a drug deal. I am in no way defending him. But think twice before you say the worst. You never know if some day your brother, sister, cousin might be in the same situation. So back off

3ntkdurk(4 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that Michael robbed the life of a very young man who was loved dearly by many, for absolutely no reason. Danny wouldn't and couldn't hurt a fly! He never carried a weapon or got in physical fights or was threatening in ANY way to anyone. My friend is gone forever and I won't be able to see him again. Michael deserves to be punished to the full extent. The murder rate is too high around here, therefore if he isn't punished to the extreme then the courts would be setting the example that you can get away with shooting someone multiple times in the chest and leaving him alone to die.

4ntkdurk(4 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Michael shot him not once but multiple times. That is not self defense, thats shooting to kill. He lead him into a driveway that wasn't his, carried a gun, and took his phone and threw it so he couldn't call for help. The only one who was scared in this situation was Danny.

5firwin(3 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

This so called outstanding citizan was never lead anywhere. He was in the car with my little brother. He picked him up actually. At the time my brother had no form of transpertation. There was no phone thrown he knew when he reached for one of the 2 guns that daniel had it was kill or be killed. I am sorry for anyones lost and I am not saying what he did right by any means. He shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place because he could have called any of us if he needed anything but don't make this piece of garbage look better than what he was. I work for a company where my drivers son was his brst friend at one time so don't try and pull the wool over anhones eyes to make him look better than what he was. No one was innocent in this sitation

6firwin(3 comments)posted 1 year, 3 months ago

Once again, what he did wrong and he is and will be punished. However this kid was not right either. The reason I know more details is because I know someone higher up. Your friend had 2 guns. What they were making a deal for was codeine and heroin. What was he reaching for WAS in fact a gun. He never threw any cel phone. 4 times in the chest, you're right, is not self defence. I am hurting like you are. My kids are EXTREMELY close with him, and because of how those two CHOSE to conduct themselves one is gone and one will never be seen again. Neither one of our families will see them ever again his family just happened to burry one. Don't judge him for what he did. I changed his diaper, he has my eyes, I know his heart. He is not the monster that did this. His step father was killed in a motorcycle accident where the man ran him over and then back over him. Nothing was done to that man. A slap on the wrist and money was thrown at our family like it never happened. When he died my brothers soul with him. He chose instead of speaking about it turning into someone that was hurt. Even if you don't want to believe it he was protectimg himself. He was making sure he could see anither day. Now either way he is not. He is not going to get a slap on the wrist. He will get time but no one needs to say such harsh words to eachother when no one knows what happened except the 2 people that were there and tbat is my brother and daniel. Just let the courts do their jobs. Because you are not the onlybone hurting because of this