McDonald schools strike up the band again
The McDonald Board of Education Monday approved expanding the band director’s contract from a 5/8-time contract to full-time, allowing music programs that had been cut due to the district’s state fiscal emergency to be restored.
The school district was released from fiscal emergency in February 2012, but cuts had to be made totaling more than $850,000 and a new levy was passed for 10.75 mills to generate $580,000 to help the district back to solvency.
Unexpected additional funds from the state then came up, and the levy amount was reduced to 7.25 mills to generate $391,000.
Superintendent Ken Halbert noted that the board brought back two elementary positions and a bus driver for the current school year,
He said the board will continue to take a look at things that are “crucial,” noting other plans are being considered.
The board approved increasing band director John Anthony’s high school teaching contract from 5/8 to full-time for the 2013 to 2014 school year under a one-year limited contract.
The extra hours are intended for the fifth and sixth grade beginning band classes, high school principal Gary Carkido said.
Anthony currently teaches one period at the elementary school for an introduction to music, as well as being high school band director and choir director.
The expansion of his time will also allow the high school to offer an elective on music appreciation of various types of music for sophomores, juniors and seniors at the high school.